Best sander to Buy ?

JJB

Petty Officer 1st Class
What is the best type of sander to buy for using on fiberglass ?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Best sander to Buy ?

it really depends on the job you are trying to do. orbital elect/air, you don't have to spend the top dollar, just keep the dust blown out of the motors.

Robj

Lieutenant

If you want to agressively remove material to prep for glassing, then my favorite is an angle grinder with a 24 grit disc. Removes material quickly.

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

One part of the decision is whether you get electric or air powered, kind of pay me now, for the BIG air compressor, or pay me later, individual electric tools can be more expensive than air.

On my project I used my random orbit sander, belt sander, grinder with sanding discs and grinding wheels and even my dremel.

The most versatile of sanders is a random orbit sander. You can do finish sanding with it but also put 36 grit paper on it and get aggressive. Not as good as a belt sander or grinder, but it will take paint and gel coat off.

I have had decent luck with Ryobi for cheap sanders, I have not tried Harbor Freight or similar Chinese brands, and shy away based on cheap grinder that i bought.

But as probably has been said before. if you are doing boat repair and renovations, the tool you MUST have is a 4 1/2 inch right angle grinder. Go get a ridgid or other name brand low cost unit and go for it. You will be using it later to sharpen your mower blade and pruning shears.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have had excellant service from my ryobi, tools, and my ryobi 18 volt tools.

kalla man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i bought a harbor freight electric orbital for about 25 bucks works great, its about a year old and made it thru a project, many many many hours of sanding, keep waiting for it to crap out, but i have a chicago electric angle grinder(which is a harbor freight brand) that i have had for at least 10 years and worked like a dog thats still runs like a champ! they are CHEEP and i so far most tools electric and pneumatic ive gotten from HF have held up well, and at that price hell they are almost disposable.

dhillis

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought Dewalt's new random orbital sander. It is has a 5" disk for hook and loop pads, heavy-duty rated, variable speed and filtration. If you buy it at Lowes, I believe they are still offering a 15% discount on all power tools and then you also get a $20 mail in rebate from Dewalt. Retail price was $89 and final price with discount and rebate was $55.

I used this the past two weeks completely sanding down and prepping my boat for new gel coat. The variable speed feature is nice for less aggressive/fine tuning applications.

Dan

bsh21wash

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am a air tool technician and hands down I like Ingersoll Rand

drewpster

Commander

My wife bought me a Dewalt 5" orbital for my B-day last year just for working on the boat. I have used it more than just about any other tool. And now I hate my wife. I have dust in my ears.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

My wife bought me a Dewalt 5" orbital for my B-day last year just for working on the boat. I have used it more than just about any other tool. And now I hate my wife. I have dust in my ears.

Great wife Drewpst. Not many would buy their man tools.:)

dhillis

Seaman Apprentice

Agreed, I'm very lucky that my fiance has bought me a tool for every special occasion (Christmas, B-day, Valentines, etc...) since we have been together. I just keep telling her, these tools will build what YOU want someday.

Dan

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

6" Porter Cable DA. hands down. for electric. ( you can get nuts and buy a fein )

5" Dynabraid Air DA.

8" soft pad for large areas ( I have a mac sander/polisher )

4.5" angle grinder I agree is a must ( but one with switch on the side..NO finger triggers.)

my 2c

YD.

reelfishin

Captain

I like using electric power when in tight quarters or when working anywhere where I don't care to have a heavy air hose dragging behind. An electric cord is easier to control.

You do have to be carefull about getting glass dust in an electric motor, but that's not usually much of problem in most cases. I have never had a failure caused by dust.

For rough sanding and shaping I like a 4.5" Dewalt grinder or if the job calls for it, even a hand held belt sander. For finish work, inside or on wood I use a Dewalt orbital sander, but for final paint and prep work I use an Ingersol or Hutchins orbital air sander.

I do have both air and electric in just about all types of sanders and end up using both depending on which I feel will do the job at hand, but if I had to have only one sander, or grinder, the dewalt 4.5" electric would be the choice. I have two of them, both versions, and they've been absolutely indestructable. I use them for rough shaping, sanding and cutting.
For finish work, an orbital is the only choice.

i386

Captain

Had to dig this up for a question.

For finish work, should I get a 1/4 sheet "orbital" or a 5" round "random orbital" sander? This will be for sanding places that I've filled and also sanding primer prior to painting.

tommays

Admiral

The random unit are good BUT sometimes on finish work IF you spin up the unit and then hit the work it can get ugly :eek: VS some fine work buy hand

oops!

Supreme Mariner

good advice tom......

in the books, a random is advised.

good thread to dig up 386.....

====================================================================================================================

there are two schools of thought on this one......(besides air)

buy it cheap with a warranty.

and buy it expencive with warranty.

a good dewalt or porter cable, will be $100....4.5 inch angle grinder.....(the boat restorers best friend with a 24 grit flapper)

if you buy the $20 dollar ones, you can just keep returning them, thru the time it takes you to finish the project. they will uasually crap out, as glass dust is a killer on tools.

picgroup4026.jpg

that is a $20 bucker goin up in smoke. it was replaced for free, so the use has only cost me 20 dollars, the replacment is still working.

i also bought a dewalt. trigger op with a switch, but i like it....it has not argued with me yet, but i know its getting tired. its still on warranty, but if it lives after its year, it will be ready for the recycle bin.....
$100 gone, but good value from it.

so the choice is yours, if ya want the caddilac....air.
the chevy, dewalt or porter cable, or other work horse brands.
the vw.....canadian tire or harbour freight :)

cheers
oops

i386

Captain

I don't own a compressor so it'll have to be electric. I'm looking at a $60 Porter Cable 5" random orbit model. The top is removable so you can get the dust out of it and I can connect the Shop Vac to it. This will be for finish work; sanding down epoxy filler and primer. Probably won't ever see much glass fiber as I have something else for the rough stuff.

i386

Captain

How do one year old threads pop up?

I was using the search feature looking for info about sanders and found this thread. It didn't quite answer my question so rather than start a new thread about sanders I figured I'd continue one that was already here.

kalla man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

for finish work go with the square or round palm sander (no spin). the orbital is a little too aggressive for a nice finish.

this thread is a year old already....well as an update..
the chicago electric angle grinder i mentioned above is still alive and kicking,
actually used it today with the masonry wheel to cut some block.

I religiously blow the dust out of all my electric tools with the air compressor....the key to longevity IMHO

oh and the HF orbital is still working like new!