POLI GLOW Glass Finish

wreckless

Seaman
Anyone use the Poli Glow fiberglass hull finish and if so what were the results? I have a black hull 20' Chaparral that has some oxidation that needs some work. I have tried other marine polishes to bring the shine back but they don't seem to work. Any advise is appreciated.

Paul..

santana21

Seaman Apprentice
Re: POLI GLOW Glass Finish

I have used poli glow on two sail boats with great success. I would reccomend you buy the kit that contains the cleaner, poli glow and the applicator.

Both of the boats were 22 feet long and one bottle put 6 coats on each.

I have had the original coat on the boat for 3 years. Outstanding. will probably strip it with the cleaner this year and redo. Just cause I'm picky.

Another thing to do would be to try Penetrol by the Flood company. Penetrol is an oil base paint additive but one of its reccomended uses is to restore fiberglass. I am currently using that on a Catalina 25 with bad oxidation. I am buffing the hull, applying the Penetrol with a rag, let sit for 5 min. then hand buff off. The gel coat looks new and the Penetrol makes the gel coat impervious to water. www.floodcompany.com

Ask more questions if you have them on this, I agonized over the same subject and have tried tons of things. One of these two are what you want to use.

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have used it on my Chaparral (dk. and lite blue hull,white topside) which was very oxidized.Thru the years I have been wet sanding it till the water runs clear,then waxin it.The shine would last most o the summer with regular wash n wax. Lots of work!! soo..I ordered Poly Glow. Followed directions with the Poly Prep and applied the product,took about 5 coats to start to gloss.Applied another 5 coats(drys instantly) and it looked pretty good( knott as smooth and deep as wax,and slightly streaky)and it held up all summer(boat stays in slip) Now it has been painted since Isabell damaged her.

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

"[colour=null]Another thing to do would be to try Penetrol [/colour]by the Flood company" We have used this at the marina too,looks great for awhile then it yellows and NOTHING will get it off!!

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I highly recommend the Poli-Glow. On an older boat, the compound/wax thing is way too much work & will not last (since gelcoat becomes more & more porous with age). Poli-Glow gives an acceptable shine with much less effort & lasts all season. Secret is to get it real clean before applying the finish, or you will just get shiny dirt - the Poli-Prep you get in the kit has a real good cleaner in it.

On a newer boat (say less than 5 yrs old) the compound/wax method would probably give a better initial shine, but again, it won't last.

kelley_mc

Cadet

Anyone else? :D

I am looking at purchasing this product to restore some faded paint on my 86 Glastron and I have heard from people to try this. I was interested to hear from people have used it for a while. I have heard that it can discolor and chip. Has anyone experienced this? Also, do you strip it off each year and recoat or just add additional coats each year?

Thanks!
Kelley

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Havent used poli glow but I had great success with Flitz. Except thats more of a compound. It made my SS come out really nice. Theres this nice compound/wax restorer by 3M. All you had to do rub it it in.