Teakwood swim platform re-finish

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I removed my teakwood swim platform to re-finish it over the winter and I'm about to go at it...but I just realized i don't know what I'm doing with Teakwood. It's a small platform in good structural condition but kinda nasty cosmetically - uneven looking, algea stains, etc. I was planning on giving it a sanding with a sander and by hand for all the nooks and crevices. Then what?

I've used teakoil on other teak with some success and some that didn't make it look good enough. If I sand the finish off, do I stain it? Do I use something else?

I want it to last several seasons if possible before doing it again. It does NOT have to look perfect, just OK-good is fine. I am also re-finishing some of the teakwood interior trim and will use the same method unless someone tells me a swim platform is totally different.

Suggestions welcome!

klos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Teakwood swim platform re-finish

I've had it with teak. I can never get it to last longer than a month. I sometimes wonder who came up with that being a good idea in a marine environment.
Probably not the answer you wanted but in all my projects I will be replacing teak with fiberglass, plastic, carbon fiber, metal, etc.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I have been looking very hard at doing some teak in a small project, What is came across is teak is a oily wood, now the question i have can a urethane or will a urethane finish or varnish adhere to teak,or will it just fall off.

Sorry to jump on your post, but if varnsih will adhere i have a idea or two...........Google hot varnish's the result's can be Spectacular.

flashback

Captain

Sun is the enemy. teak is used mainly because its strong and lasts a long time.. to keep it looking good, thats another story.. I would use a good 2 part cleaner on it first and then sand it lightly with a palm sander or by hand.. then finish it with siekens teak sealer..(not sure i spelled that right)..varnish truly will make it beautiful but is very hard to maintain.. I use varnish on the inside of my sailboat and it lasts for several years. I also have used it on the toe rails and grab rails on the outside of the boat but it is almost constant maintainance to keep it up..

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

If it is old teak I'd make sure it is dry, then I would soak it with CPES, then varnish it. That will make it as durable as you can make it.

I wouldn't recommend it with new, oily teak.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

It's not very often id say no to some of the previous posters, actually put in the sun or a very hot enviroment, actually bleach it.

I have not settled on a sealer yet, it may take a few day's, but from what i have learned it's going to be a high gloss urethane finish.

Sorry boom this wood will not benefit from any presative's.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Tail_Gunner said:

I beg to differ, TG!:=

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Actually boom i have a extensive back round in wood finishing, by drying the wood you will raise the grain, the wood is so dense very little sanding is needied to smooth it. If you seal it with a water tight sealant, it will be a work of art. Much different than conventional wood, when i get my teak ill invite you over to watch.

llerrad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like to rub it down with OO steel wool then Minwax high gloss verathane lasts and the wood is so dense next season rub with steel wool and one rub with cloth soaked Minwax. Keeps going and goning.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Boomyal said:
Tail_Gunner said:

I beg to differ, TG!:=

Opp's me bad, by drying it out you will raise the natural grain, now of course one has to sand it smooth, from there a oil based stain could be used to again lift or enhance the grain, then seal it with a clear urethane.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not sure where to go with the recent ideas....but thanks anyways. Because it's a swim playform, I don't want it slippery when it gets wet. I assumed I didn't want to sand it too fine and also a varnish/urethane sealer might make it slippery, right?

I may varnish the trim pieces in the boat though. That might look sharp.

redgin

Cadet

OK I had a teak swim platform on my old boat for 4yrs and it was 76in long. I used teak oil just put it on and let soak and wipe it off and let the sun dry it. It did not get slippery and looked good. This is a swim platform Guys.
I would not use a varnish or urethane that's for upper deck trim

redgin

Cadet

Here's what you do use teak cleaner and teak brightener for old wood than teak oil and you will be very happy

klos

Petty Officer 1st Class

The problem I had with the 3 step teak restorer kits is that I could never get the nice finish to last more that a month or two.
Is there a different product out there that lasts longer?

Zetman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

People out here Line-X their swim decks..non-slip and last for a long time. Zet

Reinellchris

Seaman Apprentice

a couple i know have a 50' ferro sail boat with a solid 4"
teak cap rail. they use a product called ctoll made by sikkens. looks awesome and lasts approx 1 year.nice thing is when you re -do it you really don't have to sand
just wipe clean and re coat