POLI GLOW Gel Coat Restorer

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
has anyone used poli glow. I just read an article about it.Sounds too good to be true. However the stuff is supposedly have some kinda reaction to oxidation and truly bring out the color WITHOUT abrasives. At 60 bucks for the kit,I would love to hear some true feedback about it before I plunge into the purchase. Thanks.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: POLI GLOW Gel Coat Restorer

mike -I did the red stripes on my Celebrity this past spring. The kit is 2 parts - a prep solution (you use a scrubby pad with it to clear away the oxidation) and the Poli-Glow finish (you smooth it on with a special applicator - also in the kit). I am really happy with it - the stripes were really bad & this stuff brought them back to almost like new. And it lasted all season with no additional work. It doesn't get that real hard mirror shine like you get with compounds & a buffer, but you aren't going out & re-compounding & waxing every couple of weeks either. Secret is to use the prep to get ALL of the oxidation & stains out - the finish stuff just seals in any imperfection (but it cleans right off with the prep if you screw up). I find the slight shine trade-off acceptable since it is so much less work. I haven't used it on a real large flat area yet - I plan on doing the topsides & hull down to the water line this coming season.

TimBB

Recruit
Re: POLI GLOW Gel Coat Restorer

I have use Poli glow for 3 years now, and I'm very happy with it. My hull is a 1989. It is NOT a wax, more like a clear varnish.
The poli glow you do not buff off like a wax, it dries on. If I had a newer boat I would not use the poli glow, but if you have an older boat I would. It can be a little bit of a pain to apply, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. The first year I applied it, it was a bit more involved, prepping the surface with the poli prep. Because you must get all the dirt, spots and marks off the hull. Anything that is on the hull before you apply the poli glow will shine thru. However the 2nd year, I did not used any poli prep, I just washed the hull, most of the dirt and stuff came off very easily, there were a few areas that I had to use a little elbow grease. but then I just re-applied the poli glow. I did not need to remove the old poli glow. The company does not recommend removing the old poli glow. I will say it does shine like crazy, but if you get real close and look down the side of the hull you can ever so slightly see what looks like brush strokes. You need to be very picky like me to notice them.