1976 Fiberform 16ft Restoration

Gsmblue

Cadet
Hi, new here and thought I would introduce myself. I live in central Oregon and just bought a 1976 Fiberform 16ft with a mercury 700 70hp outboard. Please meat “Ellen Escolar” !

It is pretty rough, but I wanted a fun project boat to work on over the winter and use as a lake boat for fishing next year.

This was an impulse buy at $700 and I pick it up today. It is my favorite color and made the year I was born, comes with a trailer. The guy that sold it called it “a 2 Visa card boat” which probably about right!

Although I am new to boats, I have been working the last 3 years restoring a 1985 F150 and a 1982 Bronco so I am happy to get into the weeds here. Both of which would look great pulling this boat to the lake.

So I am cruising the stickies, learning a lot already. I will search before I post “how do I start an old outboard” or ask “which widget is best” 😎

that is all for now.

Attachments

• photo337228.jpg
    photo337228.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo337229.jpg
    photo337229.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo337230.jpg
    photo337230.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo337231.jpg
    photo337231.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

second, a 44 year old boat will need a lot of work, unlike your early 80's fords which parts are easy to get and rot is easy to see, many old fiberglass boats have wood in them which rots out and you cant see it.

definitely look at the DIY stickies in the Mercury and hull restoration forums.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Welcome to the nuthouse blue! Glad to have you aboard.

Like the lines of your boat and yes, there's likely some stuff lurking under that carpet to address you'll discover.

Had the same Merc on a seventies Wilker and loved it. Get yourself a new impeller off the hop unless you know it's been changed, check the wiring loom under the cowl for disintegrating insulation and then grease all the fittings you can find.

But most ost of all - Have fun!

Gsmblue

Cadet
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am at the part of the knowledge/confidence curve where I know nothing and think I can do it all, soon to transition to knowing something and can’t do anything!

certainly there is a lot of wood to replace, that doesn’t worry me, I have just built a house... the electrics I am ok with. Seems like there are not many systems on the boat and running wire to lights/horns/batteries will be fine, I rewired my Airstream to some degree a few years back for lithium ion batteries/converter/solar/inverter so I have a good supply of tools. Just need to brush up on what is needed for maritime enviro...

I haven’t worked on a 2 stroke since I raced karts as a kid so that will be fun.

looking forward to learning about this boat and all the curveballs coming my way. This is why I like projects, constant problem solving, research and innovating to make things work. The end result hopefully will be a reliable good looking lake boat that will keep me happy has I fish for trout and Kokenee!

Gsmblue

Cadet
So I got the boat home, after $110 on trailer tires and $35 on trailer lights.

The trailer had bearing buddies so we hit the zerks with fresh grease.

What sub forum should I post updates on this recovery build? do you guys do “project threads” I think it is gonna be a fun ride with Ellen!

Cost so far $845.

jbcurt00

Staff member
What sub forum should I post updates on this recovery build? do you guys do “project threads”....

Hows about we just move this to the resto forum and run w it all here in this topic.....

Run the boat rehab here, trailer too unless you have detailed parts/pieces questions, then ask those over in the trailer/towing sub-forum

Same for the motor rehab, detailed problem solving best documented in the correct motor forum.

If you do start topics in other sub-forums, link this topic in those and those topics here.....

Helps guys tag along easier across multiple topics.

Good luck w your resto

Moved topic to Resto forum

Gsmblue

Cadet
Splendid! Thank you for the guidance.

Here is a bonus pic of Ellen arriving at her new home.

I really need a shop.

Attachments

• photo337291.jpg
    photo337291.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 1

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I see you used a Husky for you moniker. I really like Husky dogs. We had two of them and if you can ignore their shedding a dog each day, that make a wonderful pets for sure.

Sounds like you are interested in solving problems as they crop up. Well you couldn't have picked a better project to offer such "problems". I have to admit, some times it seems like you are over your head when rebuilding a boat. But perseverance will see you through. It is a very smelly, nasty, dirty dusty ordeal, but once you get past such things and it starts coming together, you will take pride into known you built your boat. And believe me, it will be rebuilt way better then factory as well.

Nice to have you aboard...

Gsmblue

Cadet
Luka is my 9 year old Husky, great puppy! Love him to pieces!

Rubbish at working on trucks though... maybe he will be more help with the boat.

I am about to head outside and pull the floor up. I know stringers and floor need to be replaced, but I couldn’t sleep last night thinking about the transom.... Once I peel it all back I will feel better and can start a plan of attack.

there is so much I will get to learn! So excited!

Gsmblue

Cadet
Fun day today, stripped most of the interior out, pulled the fuel tank and hoses too. Then went to town with the sawzall, cut off wheel and pry bars. Some the floor came up easy and some put up a fight. I did get the skill saw out too. Unsurprisingly the foam was soaked, heavy and you could squeeze water out.. the stringers were mushy in lots of spots. Transom seems solid.

I still need to go back in and remove the stringers and starboard trim. Hopefully I can get that done this week and get all the edges cleaned up. I have borrowed my friends grinder and wheels for a few days. Will then let her sit for a bit to dry in our desert sun while I read about building new stringers. It has been a long time since I have glassed so will read up on that too. Plan is to have the stringers and floor done by the end of the month...

My friends are obsessed with trying to start the engine... we opened up the casing, some wires are looking like they need replacing. The crank turns well and has compression. Plugs look fine, throttle shifter thing works and engages forward, neutral and reverse. Need to read the post again on starting old engines, replace waterpump, fuel line, gas tanks, filler and breather hoses. Need to research all those things.

Found 6 empty beer cans, colors light and darling black label!

That is all for today.

Attachments

• photo337390.jpg
    photo337390.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo337391.jpg
    photo337391.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo337392.jpg
    photo337392.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo337393.jpg
    photo337393.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 3

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well on your way. The demolition is always interesting to see what you find as you remove things. I founds a couple potted meat type cans that I tried to give away on these forums, but no takers.

I'm betting the transom is shot as well. If the stringers and bulkheads are rotted, you can bet the transom is as well. Once you get it gutted, then the long tedious work of grinding the old fiberglass down to fresh material comes next. And make sure you are in a tyvek type suit from head to toe and even over your head. And a very good respirator and gloves and goggles too. That stuff goes everywhere and will make your life miserable quickly otherwise. THta is the worst part of rebuilding a fiberglass boat. But it is also a very needed step as well. That allows your new stringers and bulkhead adhere to the original perfectly.

As for your dog, we had ours until one pasted at 16 years old and the other one at 13 years old. Always had people come by to pet and play with them...

Gsmblue

Cadet
I have a respirator, but I can't go any further with out the tyvek... I pushed it yesterday, I hate that fiberglass itch. Seems a lot of places are sold out unfortunately... I may end up in a 3XL and I am a M-L.

Once I have the bunny suit I can rip the stringers and bulkheads out and get a good look at the transom. That is when the work starts!

My list of stuff to buy is soooo long. But right now only buying what I really need to get to the next step. Can't get ahead of myself here.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I honestly don't know how you could stand grinding without a good coverall suit. Even with a suit, it still somehow finds places to enter. I have bought a few suit at Lowe's. But with the Corona issues, not sure where you could get them. Maybe a supply type store like Tractor Supply or even a Medical Supply place. IDK...

Keep us informed and we LOVE pictures too. In fact on here, nothing actually happened without picture proof! :laugh:

Gsmblue

Cadet
Well, I ordered the tyvek on Amazon, will be a week.

In the meantime I will clean out some more foam from the front end and clean up all the debris on the bottom of the full. I might tackle some small areas where the deck was mounted and make some measurements of the existing stringers.

Might be worth cutting a couple of inspection holes on the inside to check the transom out, but sounds like that will be shot.

At least everything will have a chance to dry out.

Probably go with marine grade ply butted together with glass for stringers and bulkhead. Will use poly resin and various types of cloth as I learn from here.

Pulling the transom will be a royal PITA. But I am this deep!

Looks like I need to budget about 10-12G of resin, 3 pcs 4x8 marine ply and the glass needs to be worked out. Maybe I can do all that for under $1k.

At least it will double the value of my boat. That's how it works, right?

At least it will double the value of my boat. That's how it works, right?

Thankfully, value is subjective. The fact that you'll be able to keep the boat for years and years, knowing it's safe, solid, and in better shape than boats 1/2 it's age is where the true value is. That's what I keep telling myself anyhow :D

Gsmblue

Cadet
Oh, that totally makes sense!

I was tired and achy, so just did some clearing up. I turned a boat load into a truck load!

Also found a better spot to park Ellen in for now.

Work done:
installed jack on front of trailer
emptied old gas tank in to bottles to take to hazardous waste.
moved all debris into truck
parked in a better spot
started spreadsheet to track costs (initial plan 6months and $3k)
made a big old wishlist on amazon, hid it from the wife!

Items ordered:
Tyvek suit
respirator and goggles
boat cover

In a holding pattern until stuff arrives.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It doesn't matter what type fiberglass boat anyone has, when the rot is bad that the owner needs to rebuild the wood sections, the demolition always looks the exact same. Total rotted wood that looks like the boat will never ever see water ever again. But then the grinding happens and it starts looking like a boat hull again. So hang in there and you will be rewarded with much pride and a solid boat for as long as you want to keep it... JMHO

Gsmblue

Cadet
My Tyvek suit arrived! I am off tomorrow and my basic battle plan for Friday/Saturday is:

1. Dump run to empty the boat load of crap in my truck.
2. Go to town cutting out the rest of the floor.
3. Take measurements of the height/length/position of stringers and bulkhead and mark the hull up as appropriate
4. Remove stringers and bulkheads
5. Grind down all the fiberglass lips
6. Clean in and out
7. Inspect transom and work out how the heck to tackle it. ripping out and templating a new one is not the issue, how to firmly clamp in the new one while it bonds is the issue... Not sure if you can tell in the pics but there is no easy way to do this part.
8. Put boat cover on to keep it clean while I work out the next steps.

Very excited! #7 is the pain point right now. I really need to figure that out. I will be posting pics for sure.

Any advice appreciated!