Fiberglass "fading" question

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2008 Sylvan viper 180 I'm looking to sell and this year I noticed some "fading" in the gelcoat... It's in random spots on the boat, if I apply water to it it goes back to its normal color, but when water dries out it's back to a faded color in those spots..... Father in law thinks it might be from the cover straps blowing in the wind (never thought about securing those better honestly) it doesn't look scratch if I rub on it with my finger it seems to kinda bring some life back into the color for a brief moment.

Should I just try waxing it up? Or should I try more of a compound agent to buff it some??

Ill try to upload some pics tonight

​​​​​​​

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
[No message]

Attachments

• photo336990.jpg
    photo336990.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • photo336991.jpg
    photo336991.jpg
    993.6 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have oxidation

I would fire up the buffer myself

then I would wax

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
you can do a 50' yacht by hand if you want... but you might need shoulder surgery when you're done...

Personally, I would probably just go to harbor freight and buy a variable speed buffer for probably 35 bucks... you'll use it again someday

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
you can do a 50' yacht by hand if you want... but you might need shoulder surgery when you're done...

Personally, I would probably just go to harbor freight and buy a variable speed buffer for probably 35 bucks... you'll use it again someday

50' yacht I wish hahaha try a 18' deep v fishing boat lol

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member