73 Sea Ray restoration

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Well I got of work early and got the rest of my string guides laid out.
20200917_120922_compress93.jpg

I also Joined the ply together to get my stringer length. I cut the ply to 12" so I have plenty of wood to work with I cut a 6 to 1 angle for the final height of the stringer and then joined them together. I am a little bit apprehensive of the joint because I cannot add a bulkhead where they will be due to the ski locker.

My thoughts are to double up the stringer where the joint is on the outside of the stringer so it is not in the way of the ski locker then double up the glass on the inside. I am also going to offset the joint on the opposite stringer by about a foot. I'd rather a joint not be near the motor so I do not want to go further back with the joint.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
At the rise of the new stringers I would do the bulkhead. It's just so simple to do. The bow of the boat takes a pounding. it's a great idea you have.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
My thoughts are to double up the stringer where the joint is on the outside of the stringer so it is not in the way of the ski locker then double up the glass on the inside. I am also going to offset the joint on the opposite stringer by about a foot. I'd rather a joint not be near the motor so I do not want to go further back with the joint.

Sounds like a great plan. You’re well on your way.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
At the rise of the new stringers I would do the bulkhead. It's just so simple to do. The bow of the boat takes a pounding. it's a great idea you have.

The rise of the stringers is about 4" past the ski locker. I was looking at this last night, I was thinking of pushing that bulkhead back those 4" so it will be supporting the stringers at full height going side to side. Then just adding a smaller bulkhead in between the stringers to keep the ski lockers dimensions the same.

Is there any issues with having them so close together?

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Right now I am working on cutting out the stringers and fitting them. Unfortunately I was overthinking things and messed up my measurements for the stringer rise under the bow.

So I came up with plan B

I am running the 2 main stringers the way the boat was originally built then past the ski locker bulkhead I am going to add a stringer down the center with the correct height for under the bow and then put an additional bulkhead centered under the bow for support of the floor

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You got me laughing on the over thinking. Happens all the time to me. You are doing great.
LOL keeps you up at night sometime too!

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Got the stringers rough cut and squared, now I am working them slowly to get them to fit the hull good then shim them up to where I want them and cut my bulkheads.

20200918_185538_compress80.jpg
20200918_185549_compress53.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Don't sweat it to much for the fit. The closer the better to hull but pb makes up the problems. In regards to matching deck height, well I cut them high then trimmed later.
Yes...shim with something so your not sitting hard on the hull.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
I got the stringers where I want them and fitting the hull alot better (I kept trying to remind myself that PB will make up the difference but OCD apparently got the best of me lol). I have the rear bulkhead cut and fitting good I just have to notch the stringer and bulkhead to get it to slide into place.

When grabbing some of the old junk to see how it fit in relation with my stringers I noticed something that slipped past me during deconstruction.

I could be wrong but it looks like they used floor leveler on the deck of the boat over the fiberglass then put a rubber pad down. At first I thought man that's like a 1/4" of fiberglass over the floor why would they use so much. Then when I broke a piece off with my fingers I realized that's the same color and consistency of the leveler I used during my basement remodel.

20200919_123415_compress89.jpg

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
yup it's amazing what shows up on rehabs from PO and factory production line.

Yeah I got it from a distant relative of my wife's step family, I knew I should of ran when he mentioned a soft spot and to just drill a hole and pour foam to stiffen up the deck.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Here's how I look at it. No matter where you get the boat you never know what your going to find. In my case what I remember is the seller saying AS IS.........whoops. lol

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
I have the 2 main bulkheads cut and in place (they are sitting an inch high right now. I have to notch the stringers still).

My plan is to add the small floor supports and the seat reinforcements during the week and then work on the stringer and bulkhead for the floor rise under the bow.

I was hoping to get more done this weekend but seeing the main stringers and bulkheads feels like a huge accomplishment right now.

20200920_164636_compress30.jpg20200920_164700_compress45.jpg

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
With the weather here in Michigan I unfortunately cannot glass them out of the garage and dont have room in the garage so I am going to have to fight glassing them in the boat.

Once I have everything cut and in place my plan was going to be for the first layer going halfway up the stringer and 3in on the hull and then 2nd layer go from 6in on the hull to the top of the stringers. Then cap them then add some extra layers in some areas such as the stringer joints and the bilge.

BruceShark

Seaman Apprentice
Making some good progress this weekend! I feel like I worked all weekend, and spent only about 4 hrs on mine.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
I want to get your opinions,

I came across closed cell weatherweatherstripping when I was at lowes yesterday. Could I attach this to the bottom of the stringers to keep them off the hull then do my PB fillets and tab and glass as normal? I did a search and seen a few people have done it this way

Is there any reason not to go this route?