73 Sea Ray restoration

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like a good plan. Also you can glass the stringers etc. prior to placing them. Will save you alot of time and angst.
For fillets I used alot of disposable plastic spoons.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Rubber mat is a good idea, I didnt think of that. My original idea was to only have drainage from the ski locker because that is the only under deck storage my boat has. The original stringers had 2 holes drilled halfway up the stringers in the bilge (I am assuming these were weep holes) but the way I looked at those was water can go in then never drain out because of the height of them.

Yeah, that’s kind of a silly place for holes. Who knows. It could have been foaming holes from the manufacture, or something drilled by a previous owner. :noidea:

The plan to lock in the cross members with the stringers is pretty much what I did. It makes an incredibly strong structure. I kept my wood up 1/4” off the bottom which made it a little easier to squeeze reinforced thickened resin under the wood. As long as the wood doesn’t touch the hull, you’re golden.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I placed foam in my compartments in the entire boat with drainage holes. Then poured in expansion foam.

All gravity. :cool:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Yeh, kcassells I was curious what the density of the gravity system foam was. I watched the youtube video and it looks very interesting. Just curious if the pour in foam would compress the drainage foam to the point it no longer sheds water? I guess I should have asked on your thread, but you were way past that point when I finally caught up with your build, :ranger:

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Well unfortunately life got in the way and I have to go out of town this weekend so I am trying to get as much work done tonight as I can.

I am adding some additional support to the bunks so they do not flex while I am in the boat and since I had to add some 2x6s over the bunks(they are weak) I am going to adjust the rollers up also. So the hull has very little movement while I am inside.

​​​​​​​my plans are to have all my measurements for the stringers done tonight.

for my fuel tank originally it was going from side to side under the bow I am going to measure out to see if I can run it front to back in the center under the bow so it will free up some space under there.
​​​​​​​

Attachments

• photo339653.jpg
    photo339653.jpg
    656.3 KB · Views: 9
  • photo339654.jpg
    photo339654.jpg
    777.3 KB · Views: 9
  • photo339655.jpg
    photo339655.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 9
  • photo339656.jpg
    photo339656.jpg
    641.4 KB · Views: 9

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yeh, kcassells I was curious what the density of the gravity system foam was. I watched the youtube video and it looks very interesting. Just curious if the pour in foam would compress the drainage foam to the point it no longer sheds water? I guess I should have asked on your thread, but you were way past that point when I finally caught up with your build, :ranger:

I dont feel like pulling that all out again. But it does work and I laugh everyday at all the no interersts when I presented it.
Especially when I hose out my boat with all hatches open.
Thank you for the intersest though. It's so stupid and it works.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
1 Cor 15:1-4 GSPLures
I just caught this on your sign in/name whatever. As much as I like this thread I will not promote religious, political, personal
whatsoever.
I am off this thread, wishing you only the best. I respect your beliefs.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
1 Cor 15:1-4 GSPLures
I just caught this on your sign in/name whatever. As much as I like this thread I will not promote religious, political, personal
whatsoever.
I am off this thread, wishing you only the best. I respect your beliefs.

I am sorry to hear that. I really appreciate and respect your input and opinions and hope you will reconsider. I am not asking you to promote a bible verse and I personally do not believe you are promoting it by helping me. If you truly feel you can no longer I wish you the best and thank you for your help.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
“Promoting“ his signature seems a bit of a stretch to me by simply following and commenting from time to time in a thread. :confused: I’m not even sure how that works to be honest. But I guess to each their own....

I’ll be around to help as much as you would like. I hope this doesn’t throw a wet blanket on your posting frequency, I really am enjoying this thread.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
“Promoting“ his signature seems a bit of a stretch to me by simply following and commenting from time to time in a thread. :confused: I’m not even sure how that works to be honest. But I guess to each their own....

I’ll be around to help as much as you would like. I hope this doesn’t throw a wet blanket on your posting frequency, I really am enjoying this thread.

I appreciate it. I will still be posting and always look forward to the help and respect what you guys have to say as you guys have way more experience than I have.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Last night I finished up some measurements and got the boat real solid on the trailer. I officially have the sag out of the hull from the old trailer bunks and installed my garage heater. I am going out of town to visit in laws this weekend so I am hoping to get all my stringers and bulkheads cut out after work during the week.

BruceShark

Seaman Apprentice
GSPLures, amazing progress! I will be following you closely as I'm just behind you in doing my own restore!

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
I started getting the strings laid out where I want my stringers and bulkheads. The bulkhead at the forward end of the ski locker they ended the stringer and then sistered a piece to extend the stringer under the bow

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200831_133229_compress26.jpg Views:	1 Size:	682.8 KB ID:	10931560
Click image for larger version  Name:	20200831_133238_compress78.jpg Views:	1 Size:	744.8 KB ID:	10931561

I am planning on using a scarf joint to extend the stringers so they are one solid piece on both sides with the bulkhead centered on the joint on each side and adding a bulkhead at the end because they had the stringer just ending not tabbed or glassed just held in place by foam.

Is this the best way to do this or should I just replicate what they had? Except have everything tabbed and glassed

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I made sure I had a crossmember adjacencies to my joints. I think that’s a great practice because it really makes the structure one piece, and solid.

I would not add one where the stringers end. It won’t really add anything in my opinion because of how thin it would have to be in order for the deck to lay on it. Bedding and tabbing the ends of the stringers will make it extremely solid.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
I made sure I had a crossmember adjacencies to my joints. I think that’s a great practice because it really makes the structure one piece, and solid.

I would not add one where the stringers end. It won’t really add anything in my opinion because of how thin it would have to be in order for the deck to lay on it. Bedding and tabbing the ends of the stringers will make it extremely solid.

Sorry I forgot to mention the front of the stringers will be higher than the original design. the deck under the bow is raised and the floor was floating on foam and tabbed to the hull. The part of the floor that was angled up was 2 triangles of dimensional lumber stapled to the underside of the deck. The stringers never made contact with the deck under the bow.

20200818_181329_compress55.jpg
My plan was to raise the stringers under the bow to deck height to give the floor more stability under the bow. My thought process was due to raising the stringers, to add a bulkhead at the end to prevent any possible twisting or excess strain on the raised portion of the stringers. Which when I replace the foam will also help with that.

Attachments

• 20200818_181345_compress27.jpg
    20200818_181345_compress27.jpg
    747 KB · Views: 5

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Yeah, I still don’t think it’s necessary, just extra work as long as the deck is bonded to the stringers. Once the stringers are bonded to the hull, and the deck, they’re not going anywhere. Obviously adding additional structure doesn’t hurt anything, but in this case I’m not sure it would do anything. :noidea:

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, I still don’t think it’s necessary, just extra work as long as the deck is bonded to the stringers. Once the stringers are bonded to the hull, and the deck, they’re not going anywhere. Obviously adding additional structure doesn’t hurt anything, but in this case I’m not sure it would do anything. :noidea:

I appreciate it. I will probably not do that bulkhead then. No point in unneccessary work definitely under the bow, it's not the most fun place to work in.