73 Sea Ray restoration

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
I have been thinking about how I really want to finish my bilge, ski locker, and transom.

The options I have considered are
1. Put a layer of CSM sand as smooth as it will allow then paint. (Not looking for show car quality just better than 1708 weave.)

2. Bed liner in the bilge, ski locker, and a coat over the transom. I know it is waterproof and durable, does anybody have any knowledge if this would be a viable idea?

I would appreciate any input on pros and cons for these options, or possibly another option I have not considered. I don't really want to fair and sand or gel coat (not completely out of the question but would prefer a different option)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
#2 is not a good idea. Aside from initial adhesion concerns, if the bed liner material ever is cut or worn away, repairing it will be a PITA and removing it will be darn near impossible.

CSM and paint or gelcoat would be infinitely better.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
#2 is not a good idea. Aside from initial adhesion concerns, if the bed liner material ever is cut or worn away, repairing it will be a PITA and removing it will be darn near impossible.

CSM and paint or gelcoat would be infinitely better.
Didn't think about the repair aspect of it, thank you. I have only sprayed bed liner in truck beds so never was concerned about repairs. I will probably go the CSM route then since that was my original plan. Gel coat would look great, but it is in areas that will rarely be seen so I am not super concerned with appearance but would like it to be presentable.

It always seems to be the little things that I beat myself up over with the back and forth of options lol.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I gel coated mine. I thought about bilgecoat paint but was shocked at the price. Gelcoat is pretty impermeable to most bilge fluids and cleans up pretty easy.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
I gel coated mine. I thought about bilgecoat paint but was shocked at the price. Gelcoat is pretty impermeable to most bilge fluids and cleans up pretty easy.
Yet another decision factor lol. I haven't really priced out my options yet so the internal back and forth continues🥊.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Well I am still plugging away at glassing the stringers. It is about half done right now. I am set up for the week where I can go out and glass a little bit more each night. Unfortunately I am going to be about 3 yds. of 1708 short to finish the stringers but that is the way it goes. I am hoping to be able to hit the supplier one day after work if not I am going to have to order some.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
I just got in contact with the supplier I get my fiberglass supplies from. WOW did they raise the prices!!!! It is currently $16.50 a yd. for 1708!!! I just ordered some I believe it is from US Composites due to the location it is shipping from even though I purchased on Ebay. I ordered 10yds for $90 which is half the price plus it had free shipping. Unfortunately it will not be arriving until Monday which means my goal for having the stringers glassed in by the end of the weekend isn't going to happen. Oh well at least I saved $70

todhunter

Canoeist
I just got in contact with the supplier I get my fiberglass supplies from. WOW did they raise the prices!!!! It is currently $16.50 a yd. for 1708!!! I just ordered some I believe it is from US Composites due to the location it is shipping from even though I purchased on Ebay. I ordered 10yds for $90 which is half the price plus it had free shipping. Unfortunately it will not be arriving until Monday which means my goal for having the stringers glassed in by the end of the weekend isn't going to happen. Oh well at least I saved $70
I've been trying to research sourcing my supplies locally instead of ordering online, but the local supplier I've been talking to isn't making it easy. Their CSM is 2X the price that I can get it from US Composites. Any other cloth besides CSM is sold by the full roll only. Their resin is $40 more per 5-gallon bucket than US Composites. Even with freight, I honestly think I'm going to come out better buying from US Composites.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
I've been trying to research sourcing my supplies locally instead of ordering online, but the local supplier I've been talking to isn't making it easy. Their CSM is 2X the price that I can get it from US Composites. Any other cloth besides CSM is sold by the full roll only. Their resin is $40 more per 5-gallon bucket than US Composites. Even with freight, I honestly think I'm going to come out better buying from US Composites.
Where I am at I paid (until the price increase) less because of the cost of shipping from US Composites. Depending on how urgent I need something will base from which place I buy from now on.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Well I though I was going to be done with the stringers this weekend. The glass I ordered came early and I only have a few areas to finish. We had a power outage last night so the last part that I glassed has not fully cured as of yet because the temps dropped to about 48 over night so the resin has only gelled. I kicked my heater on 80 in hopes that it will finish curing and I will continue on to the last parts of my stringers with my fingers crossed😑

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Well I ended up stepping on the tabbing which got stuck to my shoe and pulled a big piece up so I cut my losses and pulled the cloth:cry:. I am going to end up having to wait for the resin to cure then grind a few of the spots that did cure. I was hoping that I was going to be able to save it but I had a feeling that I was going to be grinding most of it off any way so it is probably easier this way. Just not on the budget.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
I took today off and I have tomorrow off for Veterans day. Thank you to all my fellow vets!!!

I grinded down the inside of the ski locker and cleaned and washed with acetone so now it is like my mistake never happened;). I just got done glassing under the bow (talk about building up of fumes), I am letting that gel now and then I will be moving on to round 2 of inside the ski locker. I am trying to get it done today if possible because we have rare 70 degree weather in Michigan today and I plan on taking full advantage of it. Hopefully tomorrow if all goes well I will clean up the top of the stringers and cap them then I will be back to what I originally thought this resto was going to be floors and interior!

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Its been a little bit since I did an update. I have the stringers capped. I am planning on grinding down some of the edges this week, then do a good cleaning of the hull. Once that is done i will post some pictures of my stringers finally done!

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Hope everyone is doing well. Sorry I have not done an update in awhile. Life has been keeping me very busy with working, holidays, birthdays, and my house remodel (finally finished with that). I have the stringers glassed in and done, sorry no pics yet my garage is a disaster and I am embarrassed.

My plans moving forward after cleaning the garage is to start putting in the floor, fixing the hull split from the outside (inside already repaired). After the floor is tabbed in I have to hold off until it is warm enough to foam. While I am waiting on that I will be doing some motor work(rewire,clean,repaint,good once over replacing parts as needed while it is out). Build the motor mount, rewire the boat and possibly repaint the cap if time allows. There is always next off season to make her pretty, This year is about making a splash and fingers crossed some waves.

todhunter

Canoeist
Glad to see it's still moving along. I may try to wet sand/buff mine some before summer, but I honestly don't think I'll have time, and will probably make that a next-winter project. It may look funny with a new interior and chalky gelcoat, but oh well, it's all about getting it splashed this season!

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Well unfortunately no progress to report on the boat due to the "state of my garage" lol. I did get some shelves built and the stand built for my outdrive so I can finally get rid of the tires it was sitting on. I have a dumpster coming tomorrow so I can get rid of all the tear out from the boat and the house remodels then it should be smooth sailing.

samntrllr

Cadet
I enjoyed your story so far. I am restoring a 1981 Glasply from a Volvo I/O to a bracketed outboard. My stringers and floor were fine, did an infill and now have the bracket and new Honda hung, but not tested yet. Interior work now ready to restart after a winter off.

Attachments

• 1981 Glasply.jpg
    1981 Glasply.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 3
  • A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 4
  • 81532477_602149670551322_5079384626699436032_o.jpg
    81532477_602149670551322_5079384626699436032_o.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Honda B.jpg
    Honda B.jpg