73 Sea Ray restoration

Baylinerchuck

Commander
The way you have the heater is fine. Scott is right, in that space you would have to have a very, very, very highly concentrated amount of vapors to explode. I used an infrared heater in fairly close proximity with no issues. Honestly it wasn’t ever a concern of mine.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Well on a bright note the temps are supposed to be in the mid to upper 60s starting tomorrow. That means this will be the week to get my stringers bedded and fingers crossed fully glassed in. Now if I can just overcome needing sleep with all the hours I have been working lol.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
I officially started the bedding process. I have about half of the bilge area done and both stringers done past the last bulkhead. It was about 65 degrees in the boat then once I was done with my mix I turned on the heater to 80 degrees.

Now comes the painful waiting for it to fully kick (it has already gelled, seems to take a lot longer for PB to kick for me at least). Yes I am one of the impatient pokers with a sticky index finger lol.

I mixed it a little hotter than I usually do (normally I mix around 1 to 1.5% this time I did 2%).

My though process was if I lock the front and back in place with resin then I do not have to worry about shifting just bowing which will not happen with the clamps I have in place. This way through out the week I can do a little bit more each day and hopefully will have the bedding and fillets all done by the weekend.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Well the stringers are finally bedded in, I am going to wait till tomorrow and sand down any rough spots and a "few spots" that I dripped some in unwanted areas.

Lol who am i kidding I made a mess! I used a Ziploc freezer bag to pipe the PB under the stringers. Forgot to shut a bag and spilled a quart of it on the hull. Not wanting to waste or grind that much resin I scooped it with my hands and put it where it needed to be. It worked but was not the cleanest I have ever been.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Ha ha!!! I think we’ve all spilled and had to scoop up by hand. The disposable piping bags are so much better for this. They are about as thick as freezer bags, and the proper shape. They are very cheap! ;)

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah I was going to buy those but I was to lazy to go to the store so instead I used a bunch of the freezer bags without my wife noticing🤫

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Not much to update on the boat. I had to take a little time away from it because I could feel me getting burned out and do not want to cut corners. I decided to play with 2 new toys I got a compound miter saw and a torch! So I made a piece of art for my basement. I burned some old wood then white washed it and airbrushed a wings logo on it.

20201017_164815_compress14.jpg

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Well my motivation came back after getting in the boat and seeing the strength of the hull with the stringers just bedded in. Although progress is still slow I have the bilge area tabbed in ( I can only get about an hour of work a night during the week.)

Once I have the stringers glassed and the floor tabbed in I am going to paint the bilge and ski locker. I am not concerned with having those areas super smooth but do not want to see the weave of 1708. Would putting a layer of 1.5 or 3/4 CSM and sanding before paint be sufficient, or is there no way around using a fairing compound?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Depends how smooth is smooth... CSM will be better, but won't really be what I'd call smooth. Fairing and sanding isn't really that bad, if you don't splooge too much stuff all over.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Depends how smooth is smooth... CSM will be better, but won't really be what I'd call smooth. Fairing and sanding isn't really that bad, if you don't splooge too much stuff all over.

I am just trying to get rid of most of the weave. Not going for a show finish since it is just the bilge and a locker. The place I get my supplies is only open while I am at work so I am just trying to use what I have on hand, when I get to that point.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Well looking at the dwindling pile of supplies it has told me 2 things. Progress(y) and I am going to be over budget🤣.

I cut a majority of the 1708 that I need for the stringers then I have a piece big enough to add the bulk I need for the keyhole. I had a feeling that I bought way to much 1.5 CSM and not enough 1708. I should have enough to keep me busy until I can get to the fiberglass supplier. Unfortunately shipping from US Composites is a little to steep for me to be able to justify.

I plan on getting more glass work done tomorrow after work since we are supposed to have a warm day.

Spreng

Cadet
Great work so far - I’ll be tuned in to see the progress and one fine boat when it’s done! I love projects and wish I had the time for one such as this...

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Great work so far - I’ll be tuned in to see the progress and one fine boat when it’s done! I love projects and wish I had the time for one such as this...
Thank you, wish I had time for it too lol. Unfortunately work gets in the way.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
I have up to the ski locker glassed in. I was hoping to be a little further along by now but weather has not been letting me get anything done. Don't mind the pajama pants lol.

There is one spot on the other side of the bulkhead that I am going to have to fix but other than that it went well. I am also going to clean up the top edge and cap the stringers but I am waiting for the rest of the stringers to be glassed in

Attachments

• 20201028_171947_compress4.jpg
    20201028_171947_compress4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19