Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
  • Dear Community Members,

Updated 9/29/20 - Upgrades have been pushed until 10/7/20

Over the last two years, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability, performance, and security. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface and site performance have revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software our site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video, and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this user experience to all members. We will be updating to a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well and loads faster on all devices while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?
    When will this be happening? The plan is to put our current forums into maintenance mode (off line) at around 9am MST on 10/7/2020! The whole transition should take 30-36 hours. We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Management

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

73 Sea Ray restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Baylinerchuck View Post
    Yeh, kcassells I was curious what the density of the gravity system foam was. I watched the youtube video and it looks very interesting. Just curious if the pour in foam would compress the drainage foam to the point it no longer sheds water? I guess I should have asked on your thread, but you were way past that point when I finally caught up with your build,
    I dont feel like pulling that all out again. But it does work and I laugh everyday at all the no interersts when I presented it.
    Especially when I hose out my boat with all hatches open.
    Thank you for the intersest though. It's so stupid and it works.
    1983 Sportcraft Cuddy Walkaround Rebuild

Comment

• 1 Cor 15:1-4 GSPLures
      I just caught this on your sign in/name whatever. As much as I like this thread I will not promote religious, political, personal
      whatsoever.
      I am off this thread, wishing you only the best. I respect your beliefs.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcassells View Post
        1 Cor 15:1-4 GSPLures
        I just caught this on your sign in/name whatever. As much as I like this thread I will not promote religious, political, personal
        whatsoever.
        I am off this thread, wishing you only the best. I respect your beliefs.
        I am sorry to hear that. I really appreciate and respect your input and opinions and hope you will reconsider. I am not asking you to promote a bible verse and I personally do not believe you are promoting it by helping me. If you truly feel you can no longer I wish you the best and thank you for your help.
        Boats:
        1973 Sea Ray 180, 140 Mercruiser
        14' Lowe Aluminum, 9.9 Johnson

1973 Sea Ray resto link:
        https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...ay-restoration

1 Cor 15:1-4

Comment

• “Promoting“ his signature seems a bit of a stretch to me by simply following and commenting from time to time in a thread. I’m not even sure how that works to be honest. But I guess to each their own....

I’ll be around to help as much as you would like. I hope this doesn’t throw a wet blanket on your posting frequency, I really am enjoying this thread.
          1986 Bayliner 16' Capri, 90 hp Johnson (sold)
          1990 Chaparral 2000 SL Sport, 4.3L LX, Mercruiser Alpha I, Gen I

Link to Chaparral restoration- https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair/10286641-chaparral-2000-sl-sport-floor-and-more

Comment

“Promoting“ his signature seems a bit of a stretch to me by simply following and commenting from time to time in a thread. I’m not even sure how that works to be honest. But I guess to each their own....

I’ll be around to help as much as you would like. I hope this doesn’t throw a wet blanket on your posting frequency, I really am enjoying this thread.
            I appreciate it. I will still be posting and always look forward to the help and respect what you guys have to say as you guys have way more experience than I have.
            Boats:

1973 Sea Ray resto link:

Comment

• Yea, well Sometimes I am amazed at what an aholey I can be. Please accept my apologies. Let's get that boat
              on the water!

Comment

• Last night I finished up some measurements and got the boat real solid on the trailer. I officially have the sag out of the hull from the old trailer bunks and installed my garage heater. I am going out of town to visit in laws this weekend so I am hoping to get all my stringers and bulkheads cut out after work during the week.
                Boats:

1973 Sea Ray resto link:

Comment

• GSPLures, amazing progress! I will be following you closely as I'm just behind you in doing my own restore!
                  First boat! First restore... https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...stingray-556zp

Comment

• Originally posted by BruceShark View Post
                    GSPLures, amazing progress! I will be following you closely as I'm just behind you in doing my own restore!
                    Welcome aboard. Thank you, look forward to checking out your thread.
                    Boats:

1973 Sea Ray resto link:

Comment

• I started getting the strings laid out where I want my stringers and bulkheads. The bulkhead at the forward end of the ski locker they ended the stringer and then sistered a piece to extend the stringer under the bow

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200831_133229_compress26.jpg Views:	1 Size:	682.8 KB ID:	10931560
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20200831_133238_compress78.jpg Views:	1 Size:	744.8 KB ID:	10931561

I am planning on using a scarf joint to extend the stringers so they are one solid piece on both sides with the bulkhead centered on the joint on each side and adding a bulkhead at the end because they had the stringer just ending not tabbed or glassed just held in place by foam.

Is this the best way to do this or should I just replicate what they had? Except have everything tabbed and glassed
                      Boats:

1973 Sea Ray resto link:

Comment

• I made sure I had a crossmember adjacencies to my joints. I think that’s a great practice because it really makes the structure one piece, and solid.

I would not add one where the stringers end. It won’t really add anything in my opinion because of how thin it would have to be in order for the deck to lay on it. Bedding and tabbing the ends of the stringers will make it extremely solid.

Link to Chaparral restoration- https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair/10286641-chaparral-2000-sl-sport-floor-and-more

Comment

I made sure I had a crossmember adjacencies to my joints. I think that’s a great practice because it really makes the structure one piece, and solid.

I would not add one where the stringers end. It won’t really add anything in my opinion because of how thin it would have to be in order for the deck to lay on it. Bedding and tabbing the ends of the stringers will make it extremely solid.
                          Sorry I forgot to mention the front of the stringers will be higher than the original design. the deck under the bow is raised and the floor was floating on foam and tabbed to the hull. The part of the floor that was angled up was 2 triangles of dimensional lumber stapled to the underside of the deck. The stringers never made contact with the deck under the bow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200818_181345_compress27.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	747.0 KB
ID:	10931690Click image for larger version

Name:	20200818_181329_compress55.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	707.0 KB
ID:	10931689
                          My plan was to raise the stringers under the bow to deck height to give the floor more stability under the bow. My thought process was due to raising the stringers, to add a bulkhead at the end to prevent any possible twisting or excess strain on the raised portion of the stringers. Which when I replace the foam will also help with that.

Boats:

1973 Sea Ray resto link:

Comment

• Yeah, I still don’t think it’s necessary, just extra work as long as the deck is bonded to the stringers. Once the stringers are bonded to the hull, and the deck, they’re not going anywhere. Obviously adding additional structure doesn’t hurt anything, but in this case I’m not sure it would do anything.

Comment

Yeah, I still don’t think it’s necessary, just extra work as long as the deck is bonded to the stringers. Once the stringers are bonded to the hull, and the deck, they’re not going anywhere. Obviously adding additional structure doesn’t hurt anything, but in this case I’m not sure it would do anything.
                              I appreciate it. I will probably not do that bulkhead then. No point in unneccessary work definitely under the bow, it's not the most fun place to work in.
                              Boats:

1973 Sea Ray resto link:

Comment

Well I got of work early and got the rest of my string guides laid out.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	20200917_120922_compress93.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	761.1 KB
ID:	10932231

I also Joined the ply together to get my stringer length. I cut the ply to 12" so I have plenty of wood to work with I cut a 6 to 1 angle for the final height of the stringer and then joined them together. I am a little bit apprehensive of the joint because I cannot add a bulkhead where they will be due to the ski locker.

My thoughts are to double up the stringer where the joint is on the outside of the stringer so it is not in the way of the ski locker then double up the glass on the inside. I am also going to offset the joint on the opposite stringer by about a foot. I'd rather a joint not be near the motor so I do not want to go further back with the joint.
                                Boats:

1973 Sea Ray resto link:

Comment

Working...
                                X