1984 Rinker v180

Jdschmucker

Recruit
Just got a Rinker v180 from a guy I work with for about $500. Bought some stuff to clean up the carb and it’ll be here in a week or so. So in the meantime I figured I’d check out the interior and redo the vinyl and motor cover....started digging in and the deeper I got the more bad stuff I found. Floor is rotted and needs replaced (it was patched over with plywood some years ago I guess). New to doing this on a boat but I’m a pretty handy guy. I know I need a couple sheets of 3/4” marine plywood to replace the floor but what else? Do I need to epoxy the new floor because I throw down some vinyl flooring? I’ll post a few pics and if you guys have recommendations I’ll take them! Thanks

Attachments

• photo336821.jpg
    photo336821.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo336822.jpg
    photo336822.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo336823.jpg
    photo336823.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 3

Jdschmucker

Recruit
Also, it looks like the right side stringer is rotted out about halfway. Do I need to replace it all or just replace what is rotted? What kind of fiberglass do I use if I need to use it? And...how do I inspect my gas tank? I read to really look it over if you have a metal one and I do. Thanks guys

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
I would check the stringers further up and also check the other stringers and transom. Depending on how much is rotted you could do a kerf joint and replace the bad section. Alot of the times when there is some rot all of it is bad. Most people from other threads use 1708 and CSM and polyester or epoxy resin. I'm currently doing a 73 Sea Ray 180 and I plan on using 1708 CSM and poly. More knowledgeable people on this forum would be able to help you along if it's worth sectioning the stringers or totally replace and what to look for on the gas tank.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Just realized I said kerf joint by accident. Scarf joint is what I mean.