1989 Four Winns bring back from the dead project

Howdy all. I'm new here at the iBoats forum. Have read many, many pages here relating to restorations. Knowing that mass-produced boats are built with mass-produced results, I took a good, close look at all of the boats I went to look at. Every single one of them showed some level of water damage, most were fairly extensive. Showing the owners of said boats what I was seeing made some wide eyes and disheartened sellers. Sadly, some of the boats weren't what I'd consider old, per se. I made a conscious decision to just redo a boat, so I know what I've got when it's over. Financially speaking, a new boat is not in the cards, so I figured throwing thousands of dollars and man-hours at an older boat would be a good trade :facepalm:
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

I did someone else a favor and took a boat off of their hands, along with several years worth of leaves, branches, and trash. It's a wreck, and it even looks the part. 1989 Four Winns Freedom 170, and it needs it all. Much because the wood eroded from water, and partially because a previous owner tried to patch it up by screwing wood down over the rotten floors and covering it with carpet. All of the pads have been redone at some point as well, but not well. No marine vinyl or marine plywood, so everything was soaked through and rotten, even up that high. Haven't found dry wood anywhere in the boat yet. Trailer's rotten, and the old 2.3 engine is no bueno as well. Timing belt broken. Lower end turns, but the cam in the head is seized. Maybe a 3.0 or 4.3 upgrade? Who knows at this point. No experience with the OMC Cobra either. Maybe a Mercruiser swap. I don't know yet. First thing is removing all of the rotted wood. Smells like low tide in there as it is now.

At least when you go this route, you get to bypass the denial stage. That's about the only benefit I can think of at this point. I'll post here as I make progress. Unfortunately, it can't be a daily thing. I wish I had the time to work on it every day, but I don't. Here's a couple pics after the 25 minute ride home. I'm sure we lost quite a bit of leaves; it was worse when I looked at it. I'm glad the trailer made it. It's as neglected as the boat.

Attachments

• photo336817.jpg
    photo336817.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • photo336818.jpg
    photo336818.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 8

JLumbert

Cadet
Looks like fun ! we are in the process of reworking a 86 Bayliner capri 1900 bowrider. We had it a few times on the lake after redoing all the interior all from scratch as all the interior was shot and the wood was rotted beyond saving for templates.
It looks like fun ! Were rebuilding the motor this winter.

It will take time, but you will have a fun little boat once you get it going ,Good luck !

Thanks.

A quick question for those that have gone to the depths of their boat, and maybe specifically Four Winns. After I removed the plywood that was attached over the factory deck, I see that they designed in what I'd call a drainage groove down both sides, about an inch or two in from the sides. I haven't done the cut yet, but I'm wondering where to cut in. If it were flat all the way to the sides, I'd go as close the side as possible. With this, my first impression is to cut an inch or so to the inside of the "gully" and see it from the bottom before going further. Of course, that would end up with me cutting at least twice. If I can reduce the work and dust level at all, I'm down with that. So, if any of you have had the floor up on a similar boat, what's under the drainage gully? I appreciate any input.

I have just about all of the interior out, and I have the fuel tank out now too. The smell of the muck under the tank was absolutely lovely :eek: I started taking the engine apart a little in preparation for removal. Exhaust manifold and riser so far. It's been sitting with 3 of the 4 spark plugs out. Peered down the holes with a flashlight, and it isn't too pretty. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Lots of work to do first.

Thank you sir. I've gone through most of your thread (a lot of reading). Great job on yours! Looking at your pic, I think I have an idea of what I'll find. I'm speculating that the wood ends before it gets to the flat part of the hull sides, and the fiberglass matting was laid in the gap to create said drain channels. I guess there's only one way to find out!

Here's a few more pics of the wreck. As chevymaher says, pics or it didn't happen. I stripped the interior and removed the windshield (had thoughts of taking the cap off, but think I may not). Seat riser boxes were junk, as were the seats. Lots of wet wood, and the remains of previously wet wood.

Attachments

• photo336921.jpg
    photo336921.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • photo336922.jpg
    photo336922.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • photo336923.jpg
    photo336923.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • photo336924.jpg
    photo336924.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • photo336925.jpg
    photo336925.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 7
  • photo336926.jpg
    photo336926.jpg
    786.6 KB · Views: 7
  • photo336927.jpg
    photo336927.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • photo336928.jpg
    photo336928.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • photo336929.jpg
    photo336929.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

chevymaher

Commander
Yep same as mine. I love these old boats. I be a stowaway watching yours. It is all worth it once you get all the bugs worked out.

My buddy tells me best thing owning a boat is when it is paid for. He bought 2 new. He says then it only cost gas to use it.

Your making your payments now. It will be worth it. Then the biggest aggravation is having time off on a clear day to go enjoy it. Like me right now. I caught all my work up cut the grass. And it is thundering out there now. LOL. Day after tomorrow supposed to be good tho.

Just stick it out through the screw this thing stages. You will have them, Mine was when the crate motor blew up.

Outdrive is off. Engine is completely unhooked (I think; hopefully wont be testing the strength of the wiring later). Need to pick up the engine hoist at my brother's house (he has a bigger garage than I do). With any luck, I can get the engine out soon. I want to get the floors cut out, but wanted somewhere to stand while prepping the engine for removal. I'd love to be looking at a scene similar to the pic chevymaher put in post #4. It'll take some work to get there, I'm sure.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Go for it. It is worth it. several grinders later LOL.

Lol, make sure you buy the cheapest HF grinders they sell in pairs. The fiberglass dust will eat the bearings out of a good grinder in no time flat. HF grinders are disposable. :target:

A vibrating multi-tool with bi-metal blades works great for cutting through the tabbing used to secure the deck to the hull. Much less likely to puncture the hull with one of these than a sawzall. Don’t ask me how I know......:closed_2:

I’ll be tagging along, good luck.

chevymaher

Commander
Lol, make sure you buy the cheapest HF grinders they sell in pairs. The fiberglass dust will eat the bearings out of a good grinder in no time flat. HF grinders are disposable. :target:

A vibrating multi-tool with bi-metal blades works great for cutting through the tabbing used to secure the deck to the hull. Much less likely to puncture the hull with one of these than a sawzall. Don’t ask me how I know......:closed_2:

I’ll be tagging along, good luck.

My second grinder i actually took apart before i used it and filled it with grease. It was squirting out everywhere when I put it back together

Thank you for the welcome to iBoats. I appreciate all of the threads here with great pictures. They will help greatly with the rebuild once the teardown is completed.

Removed the engine this morning (before the heat and humidity set in) and vacuumed the rest of the debris from the storm the other day. Taking pictures isn't my nature when I'm working, but I try to remember to so I can post them here. Pics are out of order.

Attachments

• photo337257.jpg
    photo337257.jpg
    998.9 KB · Views: 5
  • photo337258.jpg
    photo337258.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • photo337259.jpg
    photo337259.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • photo337260.jpg
    photo337260.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • photo337261.jpg
    photo337261.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • photo337262.jpg
    photo337262.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • photo337263.jpg
    photo337263.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • photo337264.jpg
    photo337264.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Don't let the teardown get you down at any point and if you ever get frustrated just wait till the rebuilding starts because thats when you see the fruits of all your labor and believe me it feels soooo good!

Luckily, I bypassed the denial part by starting with a cast-off junker. I know that when it's done, I'll have thousands into a boat that's still only worth $1500 on a good day, but it will be worth it to me to have a boat that I know from the hull up. Too many pigs out there that are dressed up to look like a winner (look at Friscoboater's saga from the beginning). I've definitely had moments when I wonder why I do this stuff to myself, but I already see improvements. It's hard not to. I have a mountain of work in front of me, I know. Would I have even attempted it without this forum? No way.