Convert notched transom to flat for long shaft?

zacharia_12

Recruit
First of all, let me start by saying I am completely new to powerboats; I was raised with canoeing and kayaking. Recently I inherited a 13.5ft(?) StarCraft aluminum boat which I haven't even seen in person yet. I'm currently looking for a motor for it assas it didn't come with one or a trailer.
ANYWAYS, something that I couldn't find a definitive answer for in hours of googling and searching this forum is: Can I remake a flat transom instead of the current notched transom?
The reason I'm asking is I've seen a few good deals on 20" shaft motors and don't see why I'd have to pass up a deal when it would be as simple as not cutting a notch in the new transom :noidea:

zacharia_12

Recruit
2000 words in picture form:

Attachments

• photo336564.jpg
    photo336564.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo336565.jpg
    photo336565.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 0

zacharia_12

Recruit
I'm basically just wondering if there's something keeping people from switching to a flat transom or if there is anything structural that has to be done (maybe extending the centre support bracket). Any input or experience is appreciated.

matt167

Captain
You would need to rework the skin as well, but it would work.

A Jack plate would be less work

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Welcome to the forum! Yes, you could close that dip in the transom to get the height you want. Because those motor clamps will be exerting significant levering force you'll want to make good and sure the new piece is very securely incorporated into the rest of the transom structure. As Matt said a jack plate might be easier if not cheaper.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Many members that put jack plates on aluminum boats w 15in transoms to run 20in motors werent happy w the results.

Same for those that added raised transoms to fit the longer motor.

Off hand I didnt find 1 after looking for about 5min, but they're out there.

zacharia_12

Recruit
That's what I figured, thanks all for the responses! I haven't looked much into jack plates as I just assumed I'd have to rebuild the transom (again, I haven't seen the boat yet) and am keeping options open if that's the case. Although I'm not familiar with boats I have always been a DIY'er and am aware of structure and the force that a 20-25hp motor can put on a transom.
Can you expand on why others weren't happy with their flat transoms? If a transom is getting replaced anyways, I don't see why anyone would go notched unless they're set on keeping their short shaft motor...