new deck advice

flysurge

Recruit
Hi all,

I am currently rebuilding a hull Ive owned for about 15 years. Its a 1995 Ocean Master 31 with bracketed engines. Ive recored the transom, and am currently closing it back up(3" of penske and about 9 layers 1708 to match the original thickness of the skin). Ive have removed most of the deck to replace the tanks. The original deck seemed to be 3/4 ply with several layers of csm/cloth with total thickness of deck being close to 1". The boats stringers are all glass, boxed with no core approx 5" wide. The original deck was secured with a putty of what seems to be thickened resin. I think thats most of the pertinant info. Anyways I am coring the new deck with 1" airex t92.100 PET foam on the advice of a few local repair techs and the tech sales at composite one in NJ. The hull has 4 stringers and when removing the old floor I left a 3" tab of material on the side of the hull. My plan (as these boats have a tendency to have a problem with wet aft decks due to low scuppers) was to put a 1" thick cap on top of the stringers and then lay new deck on top of new higher stringer and 3" outer tab, netting a 1" raised deck. The distance between the center stringers is 40 inches, with about 20 inches between center and outer stringer and then 17" to outside wall. I had originally hoped to lay the 4x8 sheets east/west but they arent long enough.
So the main area of the deck would be 3 pieces running north/south. one piece from gunnel to center line of one center string er(37"), one bridging the main tank bay between the center stringers(42"), followed by another panel going to the other gunnel (37").

Here's my question (finally). As the center stringer are about 5" wide the center deck panel will be attached by an area of about 2.5" on each stringer....is this sufficient? Second using the 1" pet board over a 42" span what are your thoughts of how much glass to put on top and bottom lamination. The guys at composites one suggest 2 layers of 1708 on top and bottom. Some of the locals thinks he"s completely over killing it. I've also never covered the topside of a deck with 1708, seems like it might lead to a lot of sanding and finishing. Any input/insights would be greatly appreciated. BTW boat was built with vinyl ester resin. All the repair work Ive done to this point has been epoxy or vinyl ester and would probably do the decks in vinyl.

Thanks in advance and sorry if I was a bit long winded.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

your original deck was probably secured with plexus or PB, and I would do the same

I would post pics, because you could cut down about 1000 words for each pic

the deck in my cruiser is 1/2" balsa with aproximately 1/8" fiberglass on both sides (about 3 layers of 1708)