1989 sea nymph GLS195 restoration project series

DylanD

Cadet
Hey folks I’m starting my VIDEO SERIES following my sea nymph GLS195 restoration. I started the project last summer and I’m starting to post the videos now which should fall in line with starting back up working on it this spring, pretty much as soon as I’m done buying my house.
ill update this post with links when I add new videos. This forum has helped me out quite a bit so far. This is my way of giving back.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Please refrain from asking members to follow you on other social media platforms. Post what you like, but post it here.

Portion of the rules you agreed to:
6. You may not post in the forum to promote any personal enterprise, advertise a business or product, or to solicit responses for contests, off-site poll questionnaires or similar. This includes directing members to social networking sites, including requests to subscribe to Youtube channels or other services of this type as determined by iBOATS Moderators or Administratio. You may not post in the forum to promote any personal enterprise, advertise a business or product, or to solicit responses for contests, off-site poll questionnaires or similar.
This includes directing members to social networking sites, including requests to subscribe to Youtube channels or other services of this type as determined by iBOATS Moderators or Administration.

Embedded videos are a possibility, I embedded your 1st post's video.

Current work from home conditions might favor video posts w people that have extra time to watch nearly 15min of video.

W normally hundreds of topics to sift thru weekly or possibly 1000s, I dont have 15min to watch a video, likely never will for the vast majority of videos, just to see if theres a question or a problem I might be able to help w.

Some members arent able to pop in and out of the forum quickly from work and also view videos either. Additionally, some social media platforms are blocked by corporate servers. So those members wont be offering any advice either.

A few qood pix and a good description of what you're seeing can be immensely helpful for a significantly larger number of members available to offer advice.

DylanD

Cadet
It’s been a bit since I started this, the video thing will have to wait. But I have pics. I have since bought a house and get to work on my boat more regularly. I have ripped the boat apart and am doing the full rebuild now. I’ve taken out the floor because it was rotten and spongy. I have built the new floor and am in the process of replacing most of the parts underneath. Fortunately most of the foam wasn’t waterlogged but I found plenty of other problems. For now here are some pics of the progress this far.

Attachments

• photo337825.jpg
    photo337825.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • photo337826.jpg
    photo337826.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • photo337827.jpg
    photo337827.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13

jbcurt00

Staff member
That center deck (floor) board looks like pressure treated. Not recommended.

Unless its micronized and KDAF (kiln dried after treatment) the chemicals in PT leach out and are corrosive to aluminum....

not available everywhere, so shipping makes it pricey, plus if anything went wrong in manufacturing process, chemicals might still leach out.

Rule of thumb for backyard rehabbers is
never PT in an aluminum boat

DylanD

Cadet
Yea that center board is pressure treated, it’s from the last guy who owned it, I’m keeping it only as a template for the new piece. I know about the issues it can create, it’s being replaced with epoxy encased 1/2 inch exterior ply, which is what the rest is.

DylanD

Cadet
I’m also building wooden caps for the gunnels. These will hold my rod holders, downriggers. Etc. I’ll tell you what, nobody would believe me if I told them how much time I have invested in these pieces of wood. It’s 3/4 inch oak cut with a jig saw and sanded down to fit just perfectly on the gunnel. I’m using 1/4-20 brass inserts to mount accessories to them and mount them to the gunnel.

DylanD

Cadet
Here they are on the boat but not fastened down, I’m working on getting all of the fasteners procured this week and I’ll have to sand off and refinish them because I’m changing the layout and adding rod holder mounting spots that I didn’t initially plan for initially. I finished the back one today you can see it s missing the finish color of the rest.

Attachments

• photo337890.jpg
    photo337890.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • photo337891.jpg
    photo337891.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

DylanD

Cadet
Quick update, I finally received my new hoses for the livewell, so I got to work on installing them and reinstalling the ski locker and gas tank holder. I’m going to run to harbor freight and get some stick on rubber mats for vibration dampening for the bottom of the gas tank before reinstalling it. If all goes according to plan I should be installing the new floor. Pouring some fresh expanding foam and flying in some Marine vinyl by this weekend.

Attachments

• photo338105.jpg
    photo338105.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • photo338106.jpg
    photo338106.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

DylanD

Cadet
So the gas tank is in it ended up being a little bit of a tight fit with the rubber pads on it, but it certainly won’t rattle arround and should drain better than the old foam paper stuff that lined the tank holder before. The idea is that the water will drain Arron’s the tread patterns and out the bottom into the bilge, I don’t want this thing to hold onto water anywhere if I can help it.

DylanD

Cadet
Quick update, I’ve put in the floor and riveted it down. Hooked up the new fuel lines and vent hose. And today got the vinyl flooring installed. There is still finish work to be done with the vinyl on the sides but I was racing the weather today. Hopefully the nautolex glue sets up well. It is a lot of work smoothing out vinyl trying to get rid of bubbles. I also botched the cut around the console but that will end up being hidden by the new casting deck. One would only see it when the storage hatch is open. I’ll keep plugging away. I would have liked to be finished today but I spent a weekend or two building trails, putting in food plots and hanging tree stands. Once the vinyl glue is set, the bow livewell will be going back in, then I’ll be able to see if I can fit two batteries in the bow to run a trolling motor. Then it’s on to designing and building a casting deck.

Attachments

• photo339002.jpg
    photo339002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • photo339003.jpg
    photo339003.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • photo339004.jpg
    photo339004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

dadafan

Recruit
Quick update, I’ve put in the floor and riveted it down. Hooked up the new fuel lines and vent hose. And today got the vinyl flooring installed. There is still finish work to be done with the vinyl on the sides but I was racing the weather today. Hopefully the nautolex glue sets up well. It is a lot of work smoothing out vinyl trying to get rid of bubbles. I also botched the cut around the console but that will end up being hidden by the new casting deck. One would only see it when the storage hatch is open. I’ll keep plugging away. I would have liked to be finished today but I spent a weekend or two building trails, putting in food plots and hanging tree stands. Once the vinyl glue is set, the bow livewell will be going back in, then I’ll be able to see if I can fit two batteries in the bow to run a trolling motor. Then it’s on to designing and building a casting deck.
Hey, when you had everything down to bare aluminum, did you float the boat in water and check for leaking rivets?

DylanD

Cadet
Hey, when you had everything down to bare aluminum, did you float the boat in water and check for leaking rivets?
I didn’t, I probably should have. Last year it didn’t seem to have any major leaks when it was in the water. It does seem to leak a tiny bit at the lowest point at the back of the boat but the leak is very slow. I’ll probably put some gluvit or 5200 in there to fix that one.

DylanD

Cadet
We’ve had a november warm snap. This gave me time to get the cork into the boat. I used 1/4 inch thick cork board it took me every bit of a 30 foot roll to do the inside walls of the boat. I stained the cork, let it dry, cut the individual pieces to fit, then glued it on with contact cement. I’m in the process of sealing it with a spar urethane.

Attachments

• 15D41700-510D-432C-914A-349071662C62.jpeg
    15D41700-510D-432C-914A-349071662C62.jpeg
    641.1 KB · Views: 15
  • A4BDCB96-7C69-4623-A562-9780E5E4B84D.jpeg
    A4BDCB96-7C69-4623-A562-9780E5E4B84D.jpeg
    816.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 5DBB193A-9304-41BD-BEEE-8410ED211926.jpeg
    5DBB193A-9304-41BD-BEEE-8410ED211926.jpeg
    582 KB · Views: 14

DylanD

Cadet
Why the cork?
I’ve looked into it and seen cork decking used on boats.I liked the look and the feel. It should add a bit of sound deadening to the walls on those choppy days too. Also, the cork will match the wooden gunnel caps once i restain the funnel caps to match the cork.