Hull bracing??????

SALTYNUTZ2

Cadet
A. Did I make a mistake by not bracing the hull before removing the floor?
B. Is bracing even necessary? for a boat like this on a trailer with bunks

Attachments

• photo325280.jpg
    photo325280.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo325281.jpg
    photo325281.jpg
    773.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo325282.jpg
    photo325282.jpg
    831 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hopefully you took a LOT of dimensional measurements before you removed the floor/deck. I'd do additional bracing or wrap it with ratchet straps to keep it from flexing.

SALTYNUTZ2

Cadet
Thank you for the response. Of course I took a few rough measurements minimal at best. I have not removed the transom or stringers yet which I’m hoping has helped my cause. If I were to use the ratchet straps and take several measurement moving forward should I still be in good shape?

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
You should be fine since you didn't remove any stringers/bulkheads yet, but before you do anything else you will want to add bracing.

SALTYNUTZ2

Cadet
brace.jpg Cannot find much by way of examples. I was thinking of running 2x4' along the top sides bolted to the hull through the holes where the cleats were originally mounted using eye bolts and some washers and using a ratchet strap to create tension, and keeping the hull on the trailer.
Opinions????

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you just wrap two straps completely around the hull you'll have NO issues.

BillP

Captain
Before you add braces make sure the hull doesn't have a twist. Twist can be really small and not that evident with the eye but you may notice it when its too late. Adding braces or straps before making sure the boat is symmetrical can bite you later. If doing the work on a trailer tire pressure can even make a difference in leveling so you want to measure from the shop floor up to the chines. start at the transom, then measure every couple feet going forward. Shim the hull if needed. Each side should be equal distance from the shop floor. Once thats done you know the bottom is right. Next measurement is shop floor to gunnel all around. Then add your braces and measure again.