4hp transom

matt167

Captain
My 8' Glen L drift pram will have a 4hp 1982 Johnson twin powering it along. The boat was designed for use with up to a trolling motor. I understand that the Johnnyrude 4hp twins are about the most powerful 4hp available. As it sits, the transom is 3/8" thick

When I redid the seat design, I screwed the rear seat to the transom, from the transom side. Can I add a 2x12 for a clamp bracket to the outside to make it strong enough? This boat is a rocker hull that will not plane, opening it up all the way will do nothing except point the bow in the air, or possibly capsize it.. But I just want to be able to putt around some remote lakes fishing

Ned L

Commander
In short your plan will work just fine & used to be very common on wooden row boats. There really isn't even a need to go with a full 2x piece of lumber. Probably a piece of 3/4" ply or 5/4 dimensional will be just fine.

matt167

Captain
Thanks, that's what I thought just wanted to make sure, since going from trolling motor to 4hp twin is a slight jump in potential, even if I just run off idle

matt167

Captain
will a double layer of 1/2" ply work? I have almost a full sheet that I made a mistake with

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Double 1/2 is fine i glued mined

with 3m 5200 and clamped. spar varnish

Be sure you use exterior plywood or actual hardwood. no pine spruce interior ply pressure treated or trex