Cut Deck to get to gas tank?

John Drew98

Seaman
I have a Tidecraft Spitfire 115 which the fuel hose has gotten hard and brittle. I looked at the gas tank and removed the holding brackets but it only will move about 8 inches to either side.Can't go backwards because of the billage pumps and in front of the tank is foam to the live well. The connection appears to be in the middle but too far forward to get to.About 8" It has two billage pumps at the rear which I can't remove either. On the front side top is a chair on a deck and a live well under about half of it on the front side. Will I have to cut out a portion (6x6) of the seat deck to get to the gas tank to replace the hose? If I do have to cut the deck how hard is it to replace? It will be covered by the deck carpet.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
If all you have to do is change the hose what about cutting a hole to get to the connection. Then replace with a access cover. They make them from 4" up. Then you can always access for maintenance . Just a thought. Also if you do this attach a pull string to hose before you pull it out so you can use the string to help with pulling hose back in.

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Home depot sells a 4 inch hole saw twenty bucks. i bought one for microwave exhaust duct

harringtondav

Commander
Boats are all built differently. But they were all assembled from the hull up. The builder installed the gas tank and plumbing before the floor. Then the carpet. Try peeling the carpet back to see if the builder hid a floor access panel over the gas tank. Most boats I've known have an access panel.

The access hole/cover suggestions above are also good. I re-carpeted my boat, and pulling that floor panel was a chore. So I cut in a plastic access cover over the fuel sender to simplify future repairs.