Houseboat Hull Question- Limber Holes

smlacey

Recruit
New to the forums but was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on a hull question. We purchased a 68 Nautaline Houseboat not long ago and gutted the whole thing. We noticed that holes were drilled into the hull after every stringer. Seems like it leads into a channel that funnels the water to the rear of the boat where the bilge pump would go. One of the carpenters at the dock says its definitely a mistake/not factory and needs to be plugged up since it will rot the been inside. I think they are limber holes but haven't seen something like it. Wondering if any Nautaline owners have these or someone might be able to shed some light. Pics attached.

Thanks,

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_5502_2.jpg
    IMG_5502_2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5502_1.jpg
    IMG_5502_1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Limber holes would be through the ribs, not the hull. By any chance are they U shaped under the ribs? Poke some wire in the holes and see where the end comes out.

zool

Captain
It appears you have a channel under the ribs along the keel as a drain gutter...so there must be a subfloor over the centerline....or else those holes would go thru the hull bottom. Thats where i would investigate any rot....

smlacey

Recruit
@GA_Boater Thats I good idea. I'll check this weekend.

@zool Thats what my original thought was but the carpenter seemed super concerned about it. Its hard to see in them to check if there is any rot. Think I need to opener one up a bit or maybe another way?

zool

Captain
@GA_Boater Thats I good idea. I'll check this weekend.

@zool Thats what my original thought was but the carpenter seemed super concerned about it. Its hard to see in them to check if there is any rot. Think I need to opener one up a bit or maybe another way?

just take a drill bit, mark off 3/4" with a piece of tape so u dont drill to far, and see if the shavings come up black or clean wood color....do this along the keel line from the inside between the ribs.