The Tin Mule Resto

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Rattle can paint on the trim .. I figured thats the area that gets scratched up the most so an off the shelf paint for touchups would work fine . The top rail will get the same and the inside of the boat will be all white ..
IMG_0890.JPGIMG_0892.JPG

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just finished up running a nice clean bead of 5200 around all the ribs then misted it with water to speed up the curing .
Gunna shift attention now to the trailer ..
Hope everyone is having a nice 4rth weekend !!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Oh no! Trailer work. :D

She looks really good in two-tone.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Oh no! Trailer work. :D

She looks really good in two-tone.

Yep it had to happen sooner or later ..
I tried out the pressure washer sand blast attachment thingy today .. Went through 5 bags of sand ... It actually worked pretty well ..An extra hand would have been nice to help keep the supply of sand flowing properly .. I had to stop quite often to shake the sand down and re-adjust the spike in the sand ..I got about 80% of it stripped down .. I need to pick up more sand then flip it over to finish up .. Its gunna start rusting rather quickly unfortunately ... So I'm gunna pull the Mule out of the garage and tuck the trailer in there for the prime and paint .. Trailer is in pretty good shape really so hoping I can knock it out soon ..

GA_Boater

I saw either a Youtube or write up about using the PW blaster and some thing was mentioned to stop flash rust after blasting. Can't remember what it was. You could bomb it with can of primer for a temporary rust stop, thats what most sandblasters do.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Might be a good idea .. I wonder if I can shoot my epoxy primer after rattle can paint ... Would rather not . It just takes some time to get it all prepared ... I want to prime everything at the same time if possible ...

GA_Boater

I don't know if epoxy is compatible with rattle can primers. Wonder if you could spray with the 6% cleaning vinegar after blasting?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I could I have plenty left over from the boat . Not sure it would prevent rust though .. :noidea:

GA_Boater

It won't look like a '53 Chevy sitting behind the barn and rotting away. :smile:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
My yellow trailer is brown this morning ... :facepalm:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Couldn’t get my attachment to pick up sand today for some stupid reason ., Worked fine yesterday...
‘The mule is outside getting a nature bath .. Trailers going inside the garage in the ac .. I guess it’s time for some elbow grease on it .. Wire wheel and angle grinder to finish up prep ..
I turned it on it’s side and discovered one spot of cancer I didn’t know was there .. Good thing the sil has tested negative finally so he can do some welding for me ..

GA_Boater

He might want a favor - Day shift.

Got much paint to take off?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Not to much paint .. Luckily I got most of it off yesterday .. Hoping it won’t rust back real quick in the somewhat conditioned garage .. I’m catching the big stuff while it’s still together . Gunna take the axle and springs off and s few small things here and there .. That will make it lighter to flip over to catch the bottom ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
F028E883-606B-46BA-8110-57B5E030EFF9.jpeg Not much time lately for boat stuff .
Got a few things dabbed up for trailer repair . Just need to drag out the welder ..Super busy at work .
Picked up a cool vintage trolling motor off
CL .. So I have decided to leave the funky TM mount on the bow . Almost took the grinder to it a while back . I think it will make a nice addition and knowing my luck , get me back to the ramp .. :facepalm:

GA_Boater

What brand of TM is that, Sam? The bottom looks like an old Electrolux tank vacuum cleaner. :smile:

Nothing wrong with back-up!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It’s a Lazy troll ? Not sure of the year .
works great . Bow mount with a foot pedal..
04D4DDEE-2EF0-458D-BCFF-4811ED178718.jpeg

GA_Boater

Took the words right outta my mouth; Beats a paddle every time. LOL

They stopped making TMs in 1987. A perfect match for the Sammy Craft.