1963 Boston wailer 13 footer

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Forget cedar and if oak, white oak only. Either way....too much maint.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Both you guys make good points, i i w looking at cypress , figured its local or cedar to shed weight, that wood that was there originally was super heavy , guessing added about 150 to boat , the king starboard would be easiest way to go not cheep but probebly way easier to clean fish guts off of lol and crabpot skum

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
starboard is simply HDPE with a really really really expensive label and price tag. its simply synthetic decking. however doesnt have that great of strength by itself and requires mechanical fasteners.

I would make a carbon/epoxy or glass/resin console and then go fishing.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
its crazy but i swear the more i looked at pricing for hdpe /starboard the king starboard was cheapest lol, im still undecided if i wanna veer that far from the original bw look on positive note my arjay showed up last night now if temps would get back into 70's i could work with it , lol
hitting hills supply today and grabbing some resin and fabric to get the transom back in order, pics when it happens!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
ermahgawd chev texted me this morning 15... i thought it was a joke till i looked at map and i my eye sockets leaked just thinking about that level of cold!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
scored a console today think it will be perfect size for boat pics to follow:), too cold to do transom today was only 62 ...

tpenfield

Staff member
We got 9˚ F yesterday and today we have 12˚ F . . . .

Can you say "winterization" ? :D

Center console looks good :thumb:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
so i cut the floor tonite and ran pipes for console, trying to decide , i might put a thin piece of wood and then biaxle over floor , its super thin and im sure thats why it cracked in so many places
gutting the foam for pipes i found nothing but dry foam so that was nice :)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Consider that a good sign that you found dry foam in a 60 year old boat. Maybe now is the time to buy a lottery ticket