What catalyst and thinner for Spectrum Gel Coat

Ghammer

Recruit
What catalyst should I use for Spectrum Color Tige, 2007-2009, Frost VAL Color Boat Gel Coat?

I will be refinishing my swim platform on a 2008 Tige 22ve. I will be using a foam roller with several light coats until it is even. Then I will be using Gator step over top. Very little gel coat will be showing. I am not expecting show quality. After 11 years it needs to be refreshed.

Also what should I use to thin it will to provide good fluid application? I don't have the ability to spray it.

Thank you

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So I don't do gelcoat but everyone will tell you to read the back of the can for exactly what the mfg uses. Go outside that then too bad. Or call them.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, RTL . . . but often it is Styrene (nasty stuff) that is the thinner. . . OR . . . some folks like to use Duratec High Gloss additive as a thinner and gloss enhancer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
cant say enough good about Duratec 904.....

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Agree with Scott, its the only thing I will ever use for my last layer of gelcoat from now on... No wax needed and makes it flow like water.

tpenfield

Staff member
On a side note . . . one challenge (IMO) when working with gelcoat is the time that it takes to 'gel'/harden can be fairly quick . . . . 15 minutes ( :noidea: )

Cooling the gelcoat can help, but I'm wondering if there are any other 'tricks'/additives to share with the OP ?

harringtondav

Commander
Spectrum makes great color match gel coat. Unfortunately I had to buy a gallon for the few ounces I needed. I used my HVLP to patch some guffs and channel marker collision aftermath.

Per there tech guy:
Catalyst: Orca Composites MEKP #0811. A little dab will do ya, so research on the ratios.
Spectrum Patchaid for color.....probably not necessary for a roller application. Essentially a spray thinner.
Surfacing wax: Fiberlay Surface Seal #6324. You'll need this or something like the Duratec mentioned above. Sounds like it will also allow better self leveling.

Gel coat will not hard cure in air, so you will need some additive (surfacing wax or Duratec) to block the air and let it hard surface for sanding.