1995 Maxum 1700 SR restoration

asteinmetz

Recruit
Well... Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and though I would just introduce myself with a restoration thread, and my first restoration. I have been looking for a decent project boat for a while and reading / watching all I can. My requirements were a running engine and titles for under $1000. It's just seemed like a fun starting point.

I got this Maxum 1700 for $600 with the galvanized trailer and the "promise that the engine runs" last wednesday and towed it home in the dead of night. (For $600 it was worth the gamble no matter what)

It has a merc 3.0 I/O. I went to work trying to get the engine to run on our last couple days before freeze so I could get it winterized. After changing the solenoids, battery, and finally a smoking starter, I turned the key and it ran like a champ. I smiled and let it run for a while and then winterized everything. If we get a warm week, I will run it again and do compression checks. I also changed both solenoids on the trim motor and it is running strong now. There are no milky fluids, but they could have been changed since it was in the water.

The gauges and lights all work, and someone put in a new stereo and speakers in recently. It was showing 14 V while running. The bilge pump looks new and the blowers and horn work. There is a shiney new stainless prop on the back, and the hull and exterior paint looks nice everywhere I can see.

Now... The restoration part. The interior is trash and there are soft spots in the rear and, what appears to, be a second floor layer on top, with a combination of slightly exposed wet wood (aft), resin with dark wood underneath (mid), and strong spots (the bow).

Tomorrow I will get the rest of the interior out and start digging into the soft spots in the floor and see what I can see. My guess is I am in for transom, stringers and all, but who knows, it's like unwrapping a 24 year old, wet Christmas present.

I do have years of carpentry experience (furniture, cabinetry, and such) as well as a few cars and even an old airplane that I have participated in the restoration of, but this is my first boat.

I look forward to everyone's help and to sharing my learning experience. I'll resize some pics and get them up tomorrow.

asteinmetz

Recruit
Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• photo322569.jpg
    photo322569.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • photo322570.jpg
    photo322570.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • photo322571.jpg
    photo322571.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

chevymaher

Commander
Looks like it be nice. I did it and it is worth it. Get peeling it apart so I got something to follow all winter. Goal is get it ground out and wood cut and ready by the time it is warm enough to glass.

asteinmetz

Recruit
That's definitely the goal. I have to do the money paying job out of town for the next week, and then Thanksgiving out of town but I got the interior seats and side panels out. That was a lot of awkward angle, frustrating wrenching. Once I found my deep well sockets it got a bit easier.

I got a square cut out of the floor on the softest spot. The back end is definitely wet. The foam was saturated too. It seems like I have to suck a cup or two of water out of the bilge every couple days. I'm guessing it is just water settling out from under the fuel tank or something. I have a real cover on it now too. I think the lack of venting from the tarp may have been some of the water accumulation also.

I picked up a harbor freight multitool and new grinder wheels. I'll update when I get to it. I am excited to get the floor out though

Attachments

• photo322703.jpg
    photo322703.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • photo322704.jpg
    photo322704.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nice looking boat.--------And so typical of poor quality materials used in boat building.-----Invest in some epoxy / Kevlar / carbon fibre to rebuild this thing.-----I am using 1/2 foam " corelite " material for the floor in my project boat.

chevymaher

Commander
I forgot to say check for water. Usually there is in a boat of this age. Unless you rebuilt it. No one ever takes care of them.

Mine did that to. It took a week for the water to stop draining to the bilge. it was coming out of the stringers and under the skii locker.

Water under the cover is condensation. It will stop one the water is out of the floor.

emoney

Commander
Foam sucks up a LOT of water too. Until you get all that gunk out, it'll drip for a while. Then when it rains, it all starts over, lol. Assuming it's outside. Good luck on the build and keep us posted.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
the biggest problem with "pricepoint" boats is they got beaten to death left outside to elements and generally trashed , but remember anything man made can be fixed and sometimes better then the first man that did it:) i am ridin' along to see ya progress, :)