Need Advice on wood transom

Schlu

Cadet
I have a 1979 15 foot Alumnacraft Jon Boat. The transom Needs attention -either removing and replace or try to possibly apply a waterproof epoxy? The main problem I have is the transom on the boat has a continuous lip over and also has 4 knee braces attached to it. I really do not want to either cut off the lip and or remove the knee brackets. Is it possible to apply an epoxy to save the wood and get away from cutting into the boat? I have attached picture. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo322353.jpg
    photo322353.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 2

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Shouldn't have to cut the bracing or top channel off. Drill out the rivets, take it apart and use the old wood for a template to make new. Don't use treated plywood! Seal the wood as you see fit. Replace the rivets with stainless bolts, or aluminum bolts/machine screws. Done. Not that bad of a job.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You would take the top corner peices off the transom, then the middle top channel. From there you drill out the rivet's on the knee braces on the transom only, no need to drill them on the floor. They will remain in place. The wood should slide up and out at that point. Might take a bit of wiggling and prying but it should come out.

Schlu

Cadet
The problem is I would have to cut the top channel/lip off and than have to get that welded back on...that channel/lip is folded over the wood transom and is 1 continuous piece of the boat...trying to avoid cutting it and having it welded ...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Ah I see. Then the knee braces will have to come out. Then it'll come out from under the lip at the top. I agree, I wouldn't want to cut the upper lip either, but sometimes ya gotta do what you have to do. Sealing the knee braces is as simple as bolting them on using nylock nuts and 5200 sealer when you install them. Or buck new rivets in. I hate it when they build them like that.

Schlu

Cadet
I think I am going to cut the top lip and have it welded back on...a lot less rivets to replace and not worry about getting a good seal on the rivets on the knee braces.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the top lip was most likely bent over with a small hammer, just use a heat gun and welding gloves, get it to about 200F and gently bend it back