Building a '93 Caravelle 1750 Classic Bowrider

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
Another opinion poll:
How do you like to join the deck edges where they butt against each other? I was assuming an overlapping (or is it underlapping?) strip at the joint, but how to waterproof it? Add it to one piece and glass it along with the underside, then lay down some resin on the joining strip when adding the next sheet?

Again, please tell me what worked for you.

Chris51280

Ensign
some of mine worked out to be exactly 4 feet long and lay over the bulkheads. the ones that were in the air and unsuported, I screwed a block underneath so the next plate could lay on top of that. Like the cleats. then i smothered it with peanut butter. the edges are pre soaked with resin. Looking at how the original water protection was, mine is 5 times as good and will last another 15 years without any problems. by then, the boat is 45 years old.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Butt joints. Wood both side. 8" exaggeration on both sides. Top to bottom. Glue, pb, screws all the above or only clamps.

Reserector_

Butt joints. Wood both side. 8" exaggeration on both sides. Top to bottom. Glue, pb, screws all the above or only clamps.

Sounds like you are describing stringers. I was trying to describe decking (floor) plywood where it does not meed over a bulkhead. An unsupported seam.

chevymaher

Commander
I built mine there are no unsupported seams. Put something in there. My seams were over the 3/4 plywood under bracing. I CSMed on it laid the deck on and screwed it down. Once it sets up pull the screws and peanut butter them if they make you loose sleep.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup, like Chev says. Cut to fit or scab a pc. to the bulkhead/stringer if you are that close.
I joined them by screw and pb.
Most guys add a nailer/cleats to the stringer/bullhead that is wetted out and glassed then apply deck nailed/glued.

Reserector_

Gotcha'. Thanks for the clarification.

Hoping to glass the other side of the stringers tomorrow night. For now, I'm just kicking back with my feet propped up.

20191120_230417.jpg

Reserector_

I got the opposite side of the stringers glassed, as planned.

New question: What do you suppose this fiberglass tube in the bow is all about?
With the cap on, it is obscured, so my guess is that it was for manufacturing purposes.

20191121_182751.jpg

20191121_182404abf9f4476a1ed390.jpg

20191121_182811.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Probably for mfg, craning, lifting. Put a pc. of wood in there for your bow eye hook.

Reserector_

The bow eye is below it.

Maybe it was a place to smuggle treasure maps...

Reserector_

I have pedestals, now. Found these on eBay. Same brand and size as the upper parts that I have.
Now if I could just get a floor in this dude...

20191121_232244.jpg

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just a fyi... there are different classes of pedestals. Some for low speed / trolling and some that are rated for running at speed. Can't tell from pic but warning label.made me think of it

Reserector_

Just a fyi... there are different classes of pedestals. Some for low speed / trolling and some that are rated for running at speed. Can't tell from pic but warning label.made me think of it

Thanks. Makes sense not to install something that can't withstand the dynamic forces that the boat can create.

These are Springfield Marine Products' 2 7/8" series. http://www.springfieldgrp.com/products/2-78-series
They match the Springfield upper units that came with the boat originally.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral

Bottle coming your way?

Reserector_

Reserector_

Did some figgerin' today. 12.7 cu-ft for both sides. I also need to fill the flotation boxes that go on top of the floor. That is another 1.7 cu-ft for the pair. 14.4 cu-ft total. Using 2 lb per cu ft foam, that works out to 28.8 lbs of total material if it truly expands to 1 cu ft for every 2 lbs of material. (I have my doubts).

A two gallon kit yields 20 lbs of material. Looks like I will need more than two of the two-gallon foam kits. I may just order two and see how it goes so I can better determine how much I need to finish up. But I have a strong hunch that I better figure on three kits.

Caravelle-Foamaae136d92a73f64e.png