No announcement yet.

Building a '93 Caravelle 1750 Classic Bowrider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The something substantial was the motor mount. Stacked whittled plywood. I glued and screwed mine before encasing them in glass. The groove through it is the drain from the skii locker under the gas tank then out the bulkhead. You boat looks like it was made almost exactly like mine under the decks.
    Dance with the waves,
    move with the sea.
    Let the rhythm of the water
    set your soul free.

1987 Four Winns 170 Horizon.

Comment

That's the picture I needed. Thank you! I can stack the layers with a layer of resin between for good measure. When I get to the vee portion, I can switch to thinner ply and make each layer narrower as they go down. Probably do a stack on each side and leave the middle open.
      I have a belt sander and I'm not afraid to use it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Reserector_ View Post
        y unless there is a good reason for changing it all over.
        because the 3.0 is a turd, and you will want the 4.3 in there after you get the boat on the water.
        Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
        1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
        2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
        1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

You're insulting my boat and it isn't even built yet. Some friend YOU are.

Comment

I have owned and rode in a few 3.0 powered boats.

besides being louder than a V8, as expensive to rebuild as a V8, they are under-powered

they are a 1950's designed motor that is archaic at best.

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats

Comment

more power. put a binford 4.3 in there!
              https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...4-3-block-swap

1990-4-3-century-2000-floor-transom-stringer-upholstery-project

Comment

Agree, the 3.0 is way under powered but if that is what you have to work with then it is what it is,

Super impressed that you undertook this project, seriously it is am amazing amount of work, looking forward to seeing the finished product.
                Current boats:
                1992 Checkmate Pulse 186, 2018 Kawasaki Ultra LX, Hobie Compass Kayak, and paddle boards
                Past boats:
                1990 Formula 206LS
                2001 Regal 2660
                1994 Formula 232LS
                1976 Donzi Hornet II
                1991 GW Invader Bravo 180

Comment

In all seriousness, this small boat and engine will be among the biggest and fastest craft on the local lakes. The state lakes around here are so small that if you had a fast boat, you would have to go out of state to enjoy it.
                  My wife and I just want to drive around the lake and sight see. My grown sons might want to ride a tube or a knee board. That's about it.

If you like overpowered things, you guys would love my truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
                    I would get the late-model side mounts for the 3.0 that locates the side mounts where is does a V6 and do away with the front mount.
                    Originally posted by Reserector_ View Post
                    Why? The mount that it came with was working. Besides, I already own that one. Seems like a waste of time and money unless there is a good reason for changing it all over.
                    I just thought of a reason to swap to the side mounts if I can get my hands on them super cheap. Access to the belt and pulleys. Looks like a pain with the front mount in the way. Might be worth a look on eBay.

Comment

if you can weld, make them.

Past Boats

Comment

You gonna pull that with the flamin marshmellow. That would be so cool. Boat and camper wow that be a weekend to remember.
                        Dance with the waves,
                        move with the sea.
                        set your soul free.

Comment

It depends on the tongue weight. I pull a motorcycle trailer behind the camper with no problems at all. Can't tell it's back there. I never weighed it, but I estimate it to be just over 1,000 lbs with 100 lbs on the tongue. The boat will be closer to 3,000 with about 300 on the tongue. Not sure. That's why I weighed the empty trailer. Always thinking ahead.
                          The truck can pull it. I just don't want to over tax the frame.

The tag axle has electric brakes. It helps with stability and stopping.

Comment

It will pull it. My buddy had that exact truck with a 4 cylinder. He pulled his bayliner for 15 years with it. All over the east coast. It be fine.
                            Dance with the waves,
                            move with the sea.
                            set your soul free.

Comment

Today's progress: Stringers are made and fine-tuned. Last thing I did was join the 8' and 4' pieces and left them to cure.

I'll make the bulkheads and put that all in place before I bed them in and start tabbing.
                              Those are just temporary spacers in the photos.

Comment

Looks like you are making nice progress!
                                Miss Morgan,1969 Sleekcraft "Boats by Nescher" Newport. Power by Mercury 115 L6, tower of power.
                                https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=364284

Current project,https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...project-fuggly

"Nothing is done so poorly that the government can’t do it worse!"

“It’s easy being a humorist when you’ve got the whole government working for you.”—Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
                                X