How should I reinforce my transom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamun99

Banned
So, I have a 1979 thunderbird TriHull with a Mercury inline 6 outboard motor on it. There is crack in the fiberglass on the inside of the transom running from one of the lower mounting bolts for the engine bracket to the other. There also some give in the transom when I lean on the engine, so I am assuming there is some rot in the wood. I am thinking I will only be using this hull for 2 or 3 more years. What would be the best way to reinforce the transom? I have heard of some people just using two aluminum plates to sandwhich the transom and “spread the load” but I have also hear of people basically making an aluminum tube or aluminum angle iron frame around the perimeter of the inside of the transom and having cross bracing to where the engine mounts. I have access to the equipment and tools needed to make either of these options. What’s the best way to go, or is there another option?

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Sell the trailer and motor with a free boat attached.

With those old tri hulls, it is definitely not just the transom that needs repair. All of the wood is rotting from the inside out. The only safe way to fix it is to do a complete gut and rebuild, which will take about 4-5k and a minimum of 18 months to do. Since you are looking at only 2-3 years of use, it is definitely not worth the time and money to restore. You will not get that money back when you re-sell.

jamun99

Banned
So, I have a 1979 thunderbird TriHull with a Mercury inline 6 outboard motor on it. There is crack in the fiberglass on the inside of the transom running from one of the lower mounting bolts for the engine bracket to the other. There also some give in the transom when I lean on the engine, so I am assuming there is some rot in the wood. I am thinking I will only be using this hull for 2 or 3 more years. What would be the best way to reinforce the transom? I have heard of some people just using two aluminum plates to sandwhich the transom and “spread the load” but I have also hear of people basically making an aluminum tube or aluminum angle iron frame around the perimeter of the inside of the transom and having cross bracing to where the engine mounts. I have access to the equipment and tools needed to make either of these options. What’s the best way to go, or is there another option?

my issue got solved!!

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Since you started spamming from Mumbai, goodbye.

Burying spam in your quote! You can try to sneak by us, but you will get caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.