Varnish

I have paddles that were dipped in polyurethane varnish. They have a nice thick coat - except where the kind scrapped along the gunwales or defended themselves from the rocks on the lake bottom. Do I need to stick with polyurethane or can I repair with spar varnish? I only ask because I have spar in hand from another project. Thanks for your thoughts.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Don’t see why you can’t use the spar . Your gunna want to sand it a bit before.
Do one small patch and see how it holds up . You can always sand it down again and apply the polyurethane

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I would recommend sanding them down with 120grit paper and give it a coat of dewaxed shellac... Dewaxed shellac makes an excellent tie coat for finishes. It adheres to pretty much everything, and pretty much everything adheres to it. Plus its cheap.

emoney

Commander
Rustoleum's "Spar Varnish" is Polyurethane, it's just thicker, so there shouldn't be any issue with negative interactions.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Spar varnish is varnish that is resistant to sunlight. That is the difference between it and regular varnish. Ditto for Spar Urethane.

I think a Spar Varnish repair will be just fine. Sand as recommended to get the wood clean and ready for coating.

Ned L

Commander
A traditional oil based "spar" varnish over a polyurethane is ok. Going the other way can be problematic.