Composite Decking & Epoxy

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone used composite decking as a replacement stringer? This stuff is HPDE filled with wood/sawdust filler and dyes. It should never rot or mildew and is pretty tough stuff 1" x 5.5", just about trhe right size I have ways to prep the surface to bond to epoxy. I plan to use epoxy for the 1708 fiber glass . Its 2:1 A:B ratio and the stuff is low viscosity for resin infusion. Has anyone used epoxy with 1708 fiberglass?
Any recommendations?

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Composite decking has very poor structural characteristics... they also have a very large coefficient of thermal expansion... I would be concerned that a long stringer would try to buckle or delaminate with temperature swings from season to season...

Personally, I would want to do some testing before encapsulating it in my boat and hoping for the best... but at that point, I'd rather just use plywood or coosa...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Composite decking has very poor structural characteristics... they also have a very large coefficient of thermal expansion... I would be concerned that a long stringer would try to buckle or delaminate with temperature swings from season to season...

Personally, I would want to do some testing before encapsulating it in my boat and hoping for the best... but at that point, I'd rather just use plywood or coosa...

Where is your resto thread?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
HDPE is recycled milk jugs and is best when bolted to a real structure.

HDPE has no structural strength, and resin wont bond to it. it must be mechanically fastened.

use plywood. properly done, it will outlast you.

no, you would use 1700 with epoxy. the CSM needs the styrene to break down the binder. 1708 is 1700 stitched to CSM

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Resto Thread with photos on my (limited) progress to date.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boa...er-and-floor-repair-west-totalboat-1708-cloth

Not a lot of progress; our cars are breaking down faster than the boat is being restored.

I already bought 1708 fabric after talking to US composites and it seems to be what everyone uses here. Can I rinse the binder off with acetone, so I can use epoxy somehow.? I have one gallon of foam, too to put between the stringers.

Thanks for all the great advice.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Use the 1708 as is. Its just got CSM you dont need. Wont comprise anything

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Like JB said you can use the 1708 with epoxy with no problem . The epoxy just doesn’t need the csm but it won’t hurt it .
1708 is used with poly resin because it needs the csm as a binder ..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
still wont stick to HDPE no mater what you do.