Replace fuel tank or not

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
All, I’ve recently acquired a 1990 bayliner 2651. Trailer kept. Needs TLC among other things. ... Problem is these boats have a tendency to have a leaky fuel tank especially at this age. No signs (or smells) of leaking at this point. It had 40 gallons of fuel in her when purchased. That fuel has been removed. What’s the best way to pressure test for leaks? OR do I just take the plunge and start the fuel tank replacement. Not looking forward to it but it may be a necessary evil. Any help would be appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Seal off fill and vent port, then use a hand pump to ptreesure ize to no more then 5 psi

The aluminum tank fails from water. If the hull leaks then water gets around the tank, and the water will eat thru the tank. If there is no water, then the tank will last.

I would check for wet wood near the bottom sides of of the tank. If it is wet, then it needs to be restored.

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
All dodge, thanks for the psi tip. I’ve read that before. Any recommendations on what to seal off with? I’m assuming the 5 psi pressure should not change. Should it remain the same psi for an hour or 2 or longer? With regard to “checking wet wood near bottom sides” , I only have access to the aft side part of the tank that can be visually inspected. Roughly 34” X 7” is exposed. The rest of the tank is under the aft cabin. Only way to check if it’s wet is to cut through the aft cabin floor. If I’m going that far I might as well yank the tank out anyway.

alldodge

Staff member
Remove the vent hose and put a bolt or wood dowel in and clamp off. The fuel fill line, rubber or cork plug, or pvc pipe and plug. Pressure thru fuel connection, and it should hold pressure. If it holds for 15 minutes it should hold longer, just need a good seal

As for checking wood, if yours is like mine and most others, the bottom of the tank can be reached in front of the motor in the bilge.

fetch

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boa...epair/8846856-formula-27pc-transom-work/page5

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
3 psi max
Over that you could blow the baffles apart.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
3 psi max

Yes your correct, no more then 3 psi

But then again, the spec is for a pressure impulse test for tanks larger then 25 gal and no more then 199 gal

Pressure has no effect on baffle's, same pressure on all sides

Last edited: