Plywood composite outboard brackets

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys im doing a complete rebuild of a classic australian hull i'm actually doing the rebuild on an australian forum as well on iboats forum

just wondering us aussies love our outboard brackets its the biggest thing since sliced bread downunder but there is no one methoid or plans on how to build a outboard bracket, fellow members will give advice in private on methods but nothing is said out load as to true and tested plywood composite designs

do u guys have any recommendations on what materials, plywood thickness, cloths, resins, fillers etc... are there any design laws that must be followed or do's and dont's in diy outboard brackets?

there is very limited information on the internet about these there are a couple youtube videos but the builders go a step out of the ordinary and use steel rods for bracing etc...

anyone with any help? Should i just buy a offshore plywood skiff plans and use the included outboard bracket.plans for the skiff and modify it to my hull but use their princibles?

cheers guys

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Only thing I can say is that it is cheaper to buy prefabbed. Material and labor doesn't work for a prefab here. Plus it's aluminum versus ply weight.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I use composite hollow " ice hockey sticks " for material.----Light / strong will not rot.------Doing a transom repair now.----I suspect that a small atomic bomb will be needed to break the new transom.----Oh----I get these sticks for free..

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Hey kcassels our pods here are either good and $2500 or shady looking welds for $900 i enquired about the shady pods and the designer/welder has no insurance on workmanship i will be hanging a $6000 engine off of the bracket going in saltwater

if i can find the know how and details on a diy one that would be fantastic but it seems like its all a hidden secret and no one knows how to structually build one from plywood and fibreglass

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Racerone how exactly do u use these ice hocky sticks do u assemble them in a sort of frame?

the outboard bracket i need to design and make needs to carry a Mercury 90hp 4 stroke 180kg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well all my years of reviews and research cause I'm a cheap bastard tells me the ply/glass pods are as expensive as a prefabbed aluminum unit. Albeit they are not cheap but I have also been looking for years for a used unit and the price blows too.
Catch 22 Best of luck says I

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I use composite hollow " ice hockey sticks " for material.----Light / strong will not rot.------Doing a transom repair now.----I suspect that a small atomic bomb will be needed to break the new transom.----Oh----I get these sticks for free..

Great show us an example. completed project start to finish.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
just wondering us aussies love our outboard brackets its the biggest thing since sliced bread downunder

cheers guys

G'day
In reality the above statement should read something like this,

some aussie folk would never consider buying a boat that has been fitted with a pod ( bracket ) because there has been so many poorly made and or designed types that have turned the owners ( former ) pride and joy into an absolute dog,

ride wise at the very least...

there is a perfect example of this on a local yokel fishing /boating show where the hosts threw a large amount of money at a berty pod... to make it " ride better " ...new outboard, refurb, dash flashy thingees etc etc

they did show the difference in ride and the followup " adjustment "

that boat now sits on a haulout trailer and rarely moves...once or twice in 18 months or so,
l drive past this boat 10 times a day

these blokes also do a project reno segment, this time with smaller boats...they have made it clear they will NOT fit pods again to their projects, without actually saying why but you can guess...
at the end of the day they need to recover as much money as possible when these boats are eventually sold

We personally would NEVER consider buying a boat, large or small, that has been fitted with a pod, specially so if a diy version,

we live in a small fishing town, have 5 rec boats atm ( 15 - 30 ft ) and my sons are employed in marine aquaculture,
We use our larger boats offshore in sometimes testing conditions...

Just thought l should show a "different" side to the aussie coin, as opposed to the above quote

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Tassie i was going with a non floatational pod mate so no added bouyancy it shouldnt effect the ride i hope other than help with astetics

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
The problem with hook line and mermaids bertram were they went with a full floatational pod which lowers the bow and makes it ride horrible i was going with a small pod non flowing to the hull

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
The " small " pods are the ones people say to avoid

but good luck with your project

was really just pointing out that pods aren't as popular in oz as you say,

l know of two identical savage pacifics locally where one had a pod fitted, needless to say which one has the worse ride now,
as well as when they are on their summer moorings 50 yds apart,
l had a pacific years ago too

what HLS should have done was just repair or replace their inboard with another one but they would have got a good $ deal from the factory,

l used to have a bit to do with one of them when l was working,

anywho...
cheers