79 islander transom

Wolverine127

Cadet
Hey everyone. I have a 79 islander that needs a transom. Not sure where to begin. I've been scouring the web for videos to know how to remove the old one. Haven't found anything with a whole lot of detail.

jbcurt00

Staff member
There were other makers w Islanders, is it a Starcraft Islander?

Year? Pix?

I/O or Outboard?

If I/O, which I/O? OMC, Volvo (I think they were also used), Mercruiser?

Wolverine127

Cadet
Well, the 79 is going to have to wait.by the way, the 79 is a starcraft. Found and picked up an 88 starcraft islander with a 4.3 OMC. Completely gutted to the hull and motor. Needs a transom replaced and thinking of a complete swap for a 95 merc 4.3 complete drivetrain with all the peripherals from a donor boat since I'm pulling the motor anyway. Got a steal of a deal on the boat and the donor boat is the same.
more interested in the transom assembly and the peripherals. But the guy said the motor ran before winterizing last year. Not holding my breath. Any potential issues preventing the swap. Is there any transom angles that could prevent the swap? Can anyone point me to a place to buy the transom templates for the whole transom, including the cutout?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pulling out an OMG cobra and dropping in the 95 Merc will require drilling two holes and opening the key-hole a bit.

measure the wood you pull out use the existing transom holes as the guide to cut your wood.

your overthinking it.

Wolverine127

Cadet
Perhaps I am overthinking. Never done it. The donor boat is complete. Wiring harness, shift cables and such. Can you think of any issue that would prevent a swap? Dont want to waste precious dollars. And find out I just bought another boat. Sorry for my ignorance. I am a cadet after all. Lol.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Perhaps I am overthinking. Never done it. The donor boat is complete. Wiring harness, shift cables and such. Can you think of any issue that would prevent a swap?

here is the list that I came up with:
  • your wife/girlfriend/significant other says no (this is the most likely reason that would prevent a swap)
  • you drop the motor....possibly on your foot and need to amputate, thus loosing all desire to work on boats.
  • you dont understand righty-tighty / lefty-loosy
  • your too drunk to turn the wrench
  • you forgot to disconnect everything when you tried pulling the motor and borked a bunch of stuff
  • a meteor hits the boat while your working on it
  • a venomous duck comes out from the bilge and chases you into on-coming traffic
  • killer clowns from outer space
  • you win the lottery and buy a brand new boat.

unbolt everything OMG from the helm to the prop including the squishy mounts and OMG specific gauges

clean up the bilge

measure the wood and get enough 3/4" plywood to make two pieces to laminate together with tite-bond III

pull the old transom wood

use as template to make new transom piece

install transom - seal as needed

re-install all the knee braces

install Mercruiser transom shield (this is when you may need to drill two holes)

install motor using new rubber mounts for a 1992 and later balance shaft motor. new rear bushings would be recommended

install new gimbal bearing and bellows

align motor

install drive (with new water pump in it)

run cables/wiring to helm.

go boating

Wolverine127

Cadet
Well Scott. Got the motor, gimbal assembly out. Got to figure out how to get the end cap off to get the transom out. Not sure how its built and which rivets to drill. Dont want to willy nilly drill. Already bought a 1 1/2 cosa board. Wondering if I should have got a 2 inch or just add another 1/2 inch piece like the last one.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If there are killer clowns from outer space Iā€™m out !
Nothing is more creepy than that ..
šŸ¤” šŸ¤” šŸ¤”

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
here is the list that I came up with:
  • your wife/girlfriend/significant other says no (this is the most likely reason that would prevent a swap)
  • you drop the motor....possibly on your foot and need to amputate, thus loosing all desire to work on boats.
  • you dont understand righty-tighty / lefty-loosy
  • your too drunk to turn the wrench
  • you forgot to disconnect everything when you tried pulling the motor and borked a bunch of stuff
  • a meteor hits the boat while your working on it
  • a venomous duck comes out from the bilge and chases you into on-coming traffic
  • killer clowns from outer space
  • you win the lottery and buy a brand new boat.

unbolt everything OMG from the helm to the prop including the squishy mounts and OMG specific gauges

clean up the bilge

measure the wood and get enough 3/4" plywood to make two pieces to laminate together with tite-bond III

pull the old transom wood

use as template to make new transom piece

install transom - seal as needed

re-install all the knee braces

install Mercruiser transom shield (this is when you may need to drill two holes)

install motor using new rubber mounts for a 1992 and later balance shaft motor. new rear bushings would be recommended

install new gimbal bearing and bellows

align motor

install drive (with new water pump in it)

run cables/wiring to helm.

go boating

Killer clowns from outer space, I'd be more worried about the killer duck, real life clowns that look like normal people, and being kidnapped by a Snap On truck during your DIY project to suck a person's wallet dry in exchange for some hugely overpriced stuff that is worse quality than Harbor Freight.

Rank of threats:

1. Wife/girlfriend
2. Self inflicted stupidity
3. Medical
4. Traffic accident
5. Job
6. Killer goose or duck
7. Snap On Truck.
8. Mechanical ability

Last edited:

zool

Captain
Its that oddball lefty-tighty/righty-loosey fastener that always bites me in the azz ;)

Wolverine127

Cadet
Motor out. Transom removed. Picking up the cosaboard today.
just wondering if anyone has some pics of the riser layout. Not sure if all of the parts came with the boat. There are 4 loose pieces. The fuel tank enclosure is in place. I'll post pics later.