Cutting out splashwell and re-install

RobL23

Cadet
Hey guys, Ive had a few false starts to getting my project going, hoping this is the real deal. Pulled the boat out of the garage yesterday and washed it all down in hopes of starting work soon.

Ive read up a lot of transom repair and the options of removing the entire cap vs cutting out the splashwell to gain access. Im going to be installing stringers and floors on top of the transom replacement. I am going to do the splashwell cutout because I dont have room to store the entire cap in the garage or in a yard somewhere. Between HOA and very small property, I dont have a lot of options with that. With with the cap on I still have access all the way fwd to do my stringers.

My question is about re-installing the splashwell and support with that section cut out. Do I need to build any kind of support with only 3'-4' of camp removed from the aft? With the remaining 12'-14' of the cap still holding the hull together I cant imagine I should see much spreading of the hull, but Im not expert here.

Are there any other posts that still have pictures of a splashwell re-install? I found a few posts from years ago and most of the pics no longer appear. A lot of the explanation in the old posts refers to the pictures and Im trying to wrap my head around it. Seems like its straight forward. Put it back on, add a few layers of cloth to cover the seam, fill and fair?? I saw another old post that mentioned putting a wooden cleat underneath the gunnel on either side of the cut line to add strength?? I think there was a picture, but its long gone and got me wondering.

Below is a pic of the splashwell area. Im thinking to cut about a foot in front of the splashwell to give me complete access.

I know Im thinking about the end repair before Im even there, but I want to have some kind of idea of what Im getting myself into. Knowing things will change, at least I will have plan A laid out, even though in reality I may end with plan K.

Attachments

• photo316417.jpg
    photo316417.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use ratchet straps and hang the cap from the garage ceiling

100_0381.JPG

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well usually when the transom is shot so are the stringers and bulkheads.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
to expand on KC's comment, the floor is the last thing to rot, after the transom, which only rots after the stringers and bulkheads long since dissapeared

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
To expand on Scott's comment...….....he is correct and he really is not that GRUMPY but rather a plethora of info. :watermelon:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
trust me....... I can be grumpy, the wife tells me that all the time...... however I do have a plethora of hands-on experience that gives me a large bucket of experience.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Either way you choose to access the transom will work. You stated you decided to do the splashwell cut and do the stringers and deck too. First do the splashwell cutout. then cut the back 1/4th of the deck and removed the stringers from that portion as well. This gives access to the transom from the inside. remove it then replace it totally. Then replace the splashwell. If you do it this way there's no need for a cradle or straps to support the hull. It will stay in place. I'd recommend cutting the splashwell about 12" forward of the splashwell front. When you get the transom done and you're ready to re-install the splashwell, post some pics and we will guide you through the process of repairing the cut lines and ensuring proper alignment so the repair will be invisible when completed.