How fast does liquid nails take to set-up, reasonably solid,..??

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Hi All,.....

I'm lookin' for a brand/ product to stick glass covered plywood "into-place" that sets up quickly, 'cause some of these, I'll be holdin' by hand, til it stays, so I can then glass into place, with cloth, 'n resin,.....
Something that sets in like 5 or 10 minutes, rather than hours,....

The glass, 'n resin might be put in later that day, or some days later,.....

The barge I'm workin' on is more of an egg-crate design typa stringers, 'n bulkheads,....
No stringers runnin' the entire length,....

Need to place parts of the framin' in the hull, not a frame that can be mocked up, 'n glassed together,.....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey Bondo Try
Titebond Fast Set Polyurethane Construction Adhesive Sets up in about 15 mins

Bondo

Staff member
Hey Bondo Try
Titebond Fast Set Polyurethane Construction Adhesive Sets up in about 15 mins

Ayuh,...... That sounds like just the ticket for the task at hand,....... Thanks,......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I was going to state JB quick weld over Bondo.

however get the marine version.....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... limited by what's on the shelf at HD, I went with locktite, sets in 15 minutes water proof stuff,.....

Claims instant grab,.....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
they also have stainless staples and staple guns in the tool area.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I was thinking the structural 1" staples in a pneumatic nail gun. I think the longest T-50 is 9/16"

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I "Think", I can get the bits, 'n pieces into place with what I've got, 'n maybe a screw or 2,.....

Will be placing some gussets today, hopefully the stringers by Sunday,.....

For placement, the stringers will be hung from the bottom of the deck, then I'll glass 'em to the hull at their bottoms,....

Just need to hold 'em straight, 'n true to glass 'em in,.....

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
What I did to hold mine is I took some scrap wood and cut them to span the hull and sit lower than the stringers by 4" and then figured out position of everything and cut notches to hold stringers. I trimmed for height too. Then with everything test fitted several times knowing it would go together without issue I removed braces, mixed my pbutter set stringer and replaced support. Deal with fillet and Let cure. Then same on other side. It did work well. I had sharpie marks and jig sticks to know I got all where I wanted it so when it went in for real I didn't have to think or measure.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh .. remember pics or it didn’t happen ..:D

Ayuh,..... Got plenty, workin' on figurin' out where to post 'em, so I can link 'em into here,.....

This is my ole Old Town Atlantis project,.....

Good news is, I'm done guttin' it, 'n have turned the corner to rebuildin' what's left,.....

Transom is done, now focused on widenin' the stringers, 'n movin' the motor forward,....