Waxing thru gelcoat??

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2007 Seaswirl and noticed a dark blue speck showing thru the white gelcoat. I have waxed it by hand not machine and used Meguiars polish followed by their carnuba wax. Is it possible I waxed thru the color of the gelcoat?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Possible?? Yup but...without pics its almost impossible to help you. We can't see what you see. Description is just not enough

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I looked up the data sheet for the Pure Liquid Wax and the only thing showing is titanium dioxide and no solvents that may have thinned the gel coat. Since the dot is the same color as the rest of the boat I am going to assume the factory used that dot as a template for decal placement

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
could be a bug or other imperfection in the gel coat.... it happens

Panoguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks to me like a small blister that "popped". Does it feel like a crater?

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can feel a small indentation. There was some color coming off with the wax on the towel I assumed was oxidation

bjarnold1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update: It was a tiny scratch that had chipped revealing the color underneath. When waxing a boat is it normal to see color transfer on the cloth or buffing pad?

chevymaher

Commander
If it is oxidized the color will come off by rubbing your finger on it so yes it is normal.