87 Sea Ray Sorrento Ski Locker

mrsvt1983

Recruit
We just recently bought a Sea Ray Sorrento. Boat is in great shape for the year it is, but when we went out the first time and opened the ski locker the fiberglass was cracked right down the middle.

It had some water in it and wood chunks. I cleaned all of it out and trimmed the rough fiberglass but I am so worried about it. I've never had a boat like this and it is something I never thought to look at.

After going out on the water today the area remains pretty dry but I'm not sure how much of the boat could be affected. The floor has no soft spots whatsoever. The boat rides great and seems very solid. But after reading about other peoples issues on the forums I'm scared to death.

Just any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo315721.jpg
    photo315721.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • photo315722.jpg
    photo315722.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The one area of a boat like yours that Does Rot from the top down is a ski locker. Water gets in and has a hard time escaping and over time it will penetrate the wood and glass and eventually bust out like yours. Having said that...Almost ALL 32 year old boats will have rot issues. I'd recommend using a 1/4" drill bit and put some tape on the 1" level and drill into that stringer under the ski locker. If you get light colored and dry wood shavings in several places...then MAYBE you're one of the lucky ones. Boats generally rot from the bottom up so any where you can gain access to the lower regions, I'd recommend drilling core samples. I assume this is an Inboard boat so check the engine well motor mounts and any surrounding substructure.
Have you inspected the bottom of the hull? Any major scrapes or gouges??

mrsvt1983

Recruit
Thanks for the response. I will drill into that stringer like you mentioned and see what I can find. As well as the engine mounts.There are no gauges or major scrapes to the hull. Just a few scrapes like you might expect on a used boat.

There are no soft spots in any of the compartments. The transom seems solid as a rock. Everything is all original.
From what I understand this boat was stored in a barn most of it's life. Used very few times a year. Just the thin layer of wood being wet in the ski locker area is very concerning.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well since it's a barn boat that's a very good thing. You May have found a diamond in the rough!!! Fixing the Ski Locker issue is a pretty easy fix and all the members here will help you with that process when the time comes.