How much water is too much? Bottom of foam still wet after months of airing with fan.

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's a model 1970 Southern Skimmer. Year unknown. Paperwork is put away. I redecked the middle of the boat, from 2' forward of the transom to the front edge of the CC. The foam in that are was dry to the hull. Problem is the bilge box was in a lot worse shape than I first thought. Split glass had allowed water in around the controls tube and back into the area behind the front piece of the bilge. I opened up the deck around the bilge box to find a lot of soaked foam around the bilge framework. Turns out the forward piece of the bilge box that runs from side to side,, gunnel to gunnel, stops water from draining to the subfloor drain. The piece I'm describing is fastened to the middle stringer and the next one to starboard. There is a drain screw under the deck, just above the hull line, in the transom that allows built up sub deck water a place to drain. So it looks to me like the designers at SS knew water could and probably would get below the main deck. The stringers are solid 2x6, competely coated in glass and are still solid. And they are radius notched periodically, it looks like to allow subdeck water to channel to the rear. But there is still about an 1" or less of soaked foam in this rear bilge area. The wet foam is on the bottom, the top 2/3 of it are dry. At what point should I just say enough. and put it back together, even with some residual water in the sub deck? The deck is thick, 2x6 stringers, and stuffed with foam approx 4" thick. It would have cost me a fortune to scrape the foam and go with new. The coast guard payload plate says 12 passengers, 1540 lbs payload, excluding engine. The thing is a tank. But that's exactly what I wanted for what I want to do with it. Input and thoughts are welcome. Thanks,Kevin

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Waterlogged foam will NEVER dry out...Never!! Take it out and replace it. Have you core sampled those so called OK stringers?

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have. In multiple places.Like I said, with the area of foam that could potentially be replaced, the cost would be astronomical, even just using 2lb foam.It's a 19' with a 70"berth and 6" deep subdeck and foam within a couple of inches to the top.
Not happenin. Even if I have to button it back up damp.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I'm on my second 16lb kit from US Composites... mine is an 18.5' runabout but probably not that much different than yours. Each kit costs $67 so not cheap but not the end of the world. Resin and fiberglass is a much bigger cost outlay than the 2 part foam. Just fwiw...

Panoguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm on my second 16lb kit from US Composites... mine is an 18.5' runabout but probably not that much different than yours. Each kit costs $67 so not cheap but not the end of the world. Resin and fiberglass is a much bigger cost outlay than the 2 part foam. Just fwiw...

This.
If you button-up with damp foam, you'll be repeating the process in a few years... with added water rot.

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class
The reasoning on my part is that I'm 61 now, and I don't have a lot tied up in it. I've already been through this with a smaller boat. Tore it out to the frame, new transom, stringers, foam, decking, csm with an 18oz roving top layer. The framing on this one is still sound, and has been in a damp if not wet enviroment for probably years. Foam is dry from the front 2/3 back, because last year I opened up the decking, removed that 2/3 of it and let it bake for months. Multiple tests in various areas showed dry foam to the hull My guess is SS either built it with cypress, or the chopper gun coating of the framing has kept damage at bay. I only need, want another 10 years of so out of it, so a picture perfect, balls to the wall race ready build is not in my vocabulary. BTDT. I will probably pull the last one 1/3 out, that area surrounding the bilge box, and from gunnel to gunnel back to the transom. Re-foam, re-deck, glass and go.