Chris Craft Amerosport 283 Restoration- Worth it?

Terestron

Cadet
What am I getting myself into? I cam across a trailered 1987 CC Amerosport 283 for $600.

The trailer is worth more as it is a dual axle.

The hull seems sound, yes it needs TLC and the berth area is moldy, but not bad. The floor seems very solid. I think it will clean up nice.

It has twin 4.3L V6 Crusaders. One will start and run when gas is poured down carburetor. The other has cracked exhaust manifolds and thermostat housing. Not sure how the block is. I am making the assumption that the engine needs to be replaced.

The props look fine and the shafts seem straight. they turn by hand. rudders look fine.

I would defiantly need to buff out hull, the is a small section that need fiberglass repair about size of my hand, and the bottom need a good bottom coat.

I do not mind doing the grunt work, and I have rebuilt engines before. and I do not mind a project. but i do not want a project that takes years. I guess it only takes money right.

I am new to boating so I guess I am looking for resources like where could a i get a good used motor? good place to get engine parts, boat parts. I know this forum is a great place to get advice.

Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Welcome to iboats.. your in the right place as there is a wealth of knowledge here...

Unfortunately you have to answer the question of "is it worth it"...

Restoring a boat is not a cheap endeavor and the cost seems to go up exponentially with size of the boat.

However, if you absolutely love the boat, when you're done, you will have a solid boat that will last for decades if cared for...

I would assume based on age it will need a complete rebuild (transom, stringers,floor)... in addition, I would plan on repowering...

You're probably looking at at least 4k for the rehab and another 2k min for the repower with the potential for much more.

If you decide to pursue it, everyone here is willing to guide you thru every step!