Drilling out solid rivets.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
So I am learning that drilling out solid rivets is not as easy as it looks. Even when I can find absolute dead center, the drill bit isn’t coming through the hull straight. I’m still left with a partial rivet on the inside.

i’ve done a lot of Metalworking and drilling and I’m finding this to be quite challenging. I’m wondering if I should’ve gone up a rivet size. I’m drilling out 5/32 and replacing with the same size. Questioning whether I should’ve gone 3/16 diameter.

as it stands i think I’m going to have to be relying on 3M 5200 to seal up some of these poorly drilled holes.

I think too that with the sheer number of rivets I have to replace on this boat, I might just have to defer to the closed end blind rivets.

any suggestions on how to get the best results with rivet replacement?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't drill through the rivet!

Use a punch to dimple the rivet head close to center, inside or outside.

Drill until the hole is flush with the skin.

Punch the rivet through. If any of the head remained after drilling, it will break off or fold in on itself.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
why not simply rebuck the rivets. no replacement needed in most cases

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks guys. The first thing I tried was to remove the head and punch it out. They do not want to budge. I’m not sure if it’s because the rivet has bulged slightly between the two ply’s or are just that tight.

Scott, the reason I’m replacing the rivets is because of corrosion. In some cases the heads are so bad there’s nothing left. Otherwise yes, I would gladly just re-buck them.

I think I’ll go back to trying to punch them out again. Perhaps I’ll drill them just ever so slightly so that there’s no burr left to catch. Maybe that’ll help

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Went back at it, some punch through some will not move. It appears that they aren’t clearing the inner ply. I can see a crack in the seam opening up which I will have to reseal with 3M 5200

any other ideas?

Attachments

• photo315331.jpg
    photo315331.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 1

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Try grinding the head flush and then hit with a air hammer with a point chisel with enough of a flat so as not to dive into rivet and make it wider but to push it. Then put a Bolt into hole temporarily to prevent things moving. That's how I do steel rivets on equipment and trucks. Worth a try