1969 Seaswirl Sea Star project

Polar_Ted

Recruit
You know the old story.. Boy reads craigs list.. Boy finds free boat, Boy hauls home free boat.. Wife is on board with the idea? No way you say.. It must be a fairy tale. I swear it's true..

This little girl followed me home.. She brought her title and her little trailer friend brought his title too.
Hard to believe for a free boat..

She was last used in 2012 and stored in a barn since then.

She's 16' 8" long, beam is 83 ish inches
Dash plate says 'Sea Star' but I can't ind anything on that model anywhere.

Inboard Outboard Merc 120 - Needs love but it came with a new carb and waterpump to install.
Alternator feels stiff so I'll treat it to some new bearings.
Merc Pre Alpha out drive
She also came with a spare out drive. Spare parts are always nice.
The current out drive was rebuilt in 2010 after an unfortunate encounter with a stump.
I know for sure that I'll need to crack the outdrive open and replace the water pump.
Deck is soft around the center by the helm.. the rest feels solid.. I know I'll be diggin in and there will be lots o fun found under the decks.

Last owner story.. Older gent.. He said the boat was his fathers.. They used to take it out Salmon fishing off the Oregon coast. I think he talked for 2 hours regaling me with all the adventures they had in it.

My Story: Not much experience with boats outside of Kayaks. I've built cars frame off resto style, built motorcycles, done some small composite work but boats are new to me and I'm scrambling to learn. On the bright side I have a shop big enough to park a boat in.

My adventure starts here.

Attachments

• photo315024.jpg
    photo315024.jpg
    949.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo315025.jpg
    photo315025.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo315026.jpg
    photo315026.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 2

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats! We have the BEST group of experts about Boat Restorations on the web!! Keep posting pics and asking questions and you'll get the best advice you can get.