Looking for advice

WaterGuy1001

Recruit
Someone local to me is selling a 1948 Larson Lapliner. It looks like it needs a fair amount of work. Any advice on value and availability of parts? The motor is original.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

and i have to ask....what motor is on it?

as far as boats go, its a run-of-the-mill cottage boat from the era

value is solely based on condition and if you find that one person that needs a 72 year old boat.

if the condition is poor, it will be a suck-hole for cash.

WaterGuy1001

Recruit
It's a Johnson is all I can tell from pictures. I will know more this weekend.

I might be that guy that wants the 72 yr old boat. There is a reasonable chance my grandfather built the motor. I have family that can help rebuild the motor, including the machinist if I need parts.

I just have no concept of what something like that would be worth.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Old Boats are not like old cars. They usually don't increase in value. There are some of the Old Wooden Chris Crafts that bring a pretty penny but that's about the only ones. If she was in Pristine condition she MIGHT bring $5K. IF you found a buyer that had sentimental attachments to this kind of boat then it might bring more. Restoration costs could be $2-4 K Pics would help us to help you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It's a Johnson is all I can tell from pictures. I will know more this weekend.

I might be that guy that wants the 72 yr old boat. There is a reasonable chance my grandfather built the motor. I have family that can help rebuild the motor, including the machinist if I need parts.

I just have no concept of what something like that would be worth.

since you mention the motor needing rebuilding, my guess the condition is a poor at best, without pics, here is my WAG..... if its sitting on a trailer, then its worth about $400. without a trailer, its worth about $100 without a trailer or motor - it may have negative value as it would cost to dispose of the hull.

as WOG stated, if it was completely restored, it may be worth $3-5k for the right buyer. it will cost you between $2-4k to get it to that condition assuming your labor is free.