Transom Replacement/Motor Mount Question

Wicked Nauti

Recruit
Greetings Ladies and Gents,
Im in the midst of a transom repair on my 96 Rinker Bowrider; 3.0 w/Alpha. The original wood was very rotten, from what I could tell by the good condition wood it was 2 sheets of 5/8” and a 1/2” fiberglass hull thickness. I’m going back in with 2 sheets of 3/4” ABX marine grade ply which will be 1/4” thicker than original, and will finally meet the Mercruiser spec of a 2” minimum transom thickness. I foresee an issue with the forward motor mount since I have essentially moved the inner transom plate and therefore motor forward. Does anyone on here have experience with this or can lead me to the right info? Thank!

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't see any major issues. The biggest problem might arise if you mounted the engine too high or too low, thus affecting the alignment. All you're doi g is mounting it a tad further back from the transom It still bolts onto the transom inner plate. Others might shed more light on it.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Doesn't sound like an issue as long as you can move the front mount forward and still have something to attach it to. I believe that 2-1/4" is also the max transom thickness on Mercruser drives, just make sure you are within there specs.