Ideas for the "doghouse" ? 1974 reinell

• carpet

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • paint

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • rubber

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
got the boat for $200 with no soft spots in the floor and my buddie is a mechanic and is working on the engine however i need ideas for the flooring and how to build a good doghouse that looks nice but isn't to hard to make.
i know how to paint and am going to scrape the old paint from the floor and carpet? not sure on that.
poll for what cover to put on the deck.

bow.jpgtub.jpg

Attachments

• dog house.jpg
    dog house.jpg
    896.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

chevymaher

Commander
Doghouse you got is fine. Foam and vinyl. Look like new. Couple hinges or some way to fasten it down.

On the floor it is your choice. Are you going to treat it like a pickup truck bed in there. Or the interior of a nice car. I like carpet. It just looks better. But harder to maintain. Got to keep it clean and dry. Mine is a toy not for work tho.

Honestly it depends on how you are going to treat it. Mine gets clean bare dry feet in it. If you swim you dry off on the swim platform.

Guy down the street just slops muddy fish in and guts them on the floor. For him carpet is a waste he needs something else.

thanks for the replay. would you glass the "doghouse" also what is a safe insulation for the inside of the house ? and yeah wont be doing any fishing but probably wont be able to keep water off the floor after getting back in from swimming is it something you can dry or would you think mabie go with a rubber floor ? i have seen some rubber flooring look very nice just not sure how it will feel with bare feet.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Rubber?

i think you mean vinyl, like Nautolex.

chevymaher

Commander
Floor would dry from swimming. Just take the tarp off on a sunny day and let it air out.

Yes glass the doghouse. I used the flotation foam inside for insulation/sound deadening. It works really well. Mix it spread it on one side at a time with a price of cardboard like a squeagie. It expands do the next side.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Paint is popular on here with a lot of folks, but I like carpet. It makes the boat a lot quieter. Also water from swimming usually isn't a big deal, at least here in OK. It evaporates quickly and has never been an issue for me. I would say paint or vinyl if you were fishing on it.

I built a fiberglass doghouse for my boat Fuggly. Sounds like that is probably a bit more than you want to do, but if you have an interest you can see the process on page 71 of my thread in my signature.

archbuilder thats really nice man love it. ill have to look into it a bit more
thanks for the replies. i have been busy with family stuff all weekend so i haven't had a chance to work on the boat like i would have liked. and the rubber stuff is this on amazon https://www.amazon.com/SOOMJ-Floorin...s%2C389&sr=8-8

Im in Washington state so quite a bit of rain but it will be covered when not in use.
i like the idea of glassing the "doghouse" but not sure i have the skill to make it look good
also got any ideas for the vent covers ? they need to be replaced but cant find them anywhere online.
20190605_170052_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:

froggy1150

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Don't know if you have tried to run motor yet or have taken things apart but I noticed you are missing the cap plate on the outdrive pivot. Without those you won't be able to keep water going to motor

haven't started it up yet. my mechanic is going to look it over tomorrow. this is my first boat so im not sure that the cap plate is ill google it

after googling i cant find any parts or info on this stern drive even being a thing. anyone have any info on it?
20190610_141544.jpg

Attachments

• 20190610_141544.jpg
    20190610_141544.jpg
    923.1 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I wouldn't worry about new vinyl until you see if the motor runs.

BTW - You have an OMC Stringer drive.

matt167

Captain
It's an OMC electric shift "Stringer" drive and that model number shows for a 165hp 6cyl which is the Chevy 250 I6. For the most part they are NLA except some basic stuff but people manage to keep them operating. They existed until 1985ish when the OMC Cobra came out. The electric shift portion was short lived but your boat does have it and it changes some stuff to make it even harder to get parts

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I’m not an expert and have never owned an I/O boat but from what I have heard here your out drive is one of the least desired brand for the reason you stated above .. I may be wrong ... I would definitely glass the doghouse .. If you go with the rubber floor I would stay with a lighter color . Darker colors just get so hot . But then again that’s coming from a Floridian .:)
Double check the stringers at your motor mounts and the wood in the transom before you spend to much on flooring ..
I know you said the floor is solid but boats usually rot from the bottom up ... And wet foam is really heavy ..

I just found https://www.seawaymarine.com/ they have all the parts to build a new OMC stern drive and have the pats i need they buy out all the old factorys and parts from anyone selling them if anyone needs omc parts go there they ship to anywhere in the world. very nice people. i figured i would share that if anyone is looking for old boat parts.
my mechanic knows whats wrong with the engine and will have it running tomorrow head gasket and a starter.
also anyone know what goes here ? its threaded so something goes there

20190610_154230.jpg