89 BL Capri resto help

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
So question for y’all, can pvc hold up to poly??? Would like to pb this pipe in but I have no clue if the resin will eat it up

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
No it wont eat it. Wont stick to it real good but wont eat it.

hmmmm..... not trying to use it as a structure type deal, more so it won’t move deal and to re seal the wood I just took a hole saw to lol

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
alright yall here is some progress photos!!!!

here is the panels cut and ready for glass
IMG_7206.jpeg

this is the bow section with support installed, so i had trouble with the 1708 and couldn't get it to lay flat for the life of me, so i drenched the 1x1's and attached them to the CSM i glassed it with and used drywall screws to aid in attaching them.
IMG_7207.jpeg

here is the bow section flooring PB'ed in and ready for tabbing

IMG_7209.jpegIMG_7208.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7210.jpeg
    IMG_7210.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
so i am currently waiting a rain delay to go and finish the install of the PVC tube and aft floor section, weather says its not suppose to rain, but the sky says other wise, so i am gonna wait a few and see if the weather moves out like it says its suppose to.

if not then work on the boat will not resume till Wednesday.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
My question is based on your comments that the wood structural components are not glassed at all under the deck platform.
I would revisit that assembly.
In addition I would suggest to actually making stringers/bulkhead placed prior on the hull and then secure the platform.
Last note is that csm has no structural/strength value alone vs. adding glass

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
My question is based on your comments that the wood structural components are not glassed at all under the deck platform.
I would revisit that assembly.
In addition I would suggest to actually making stringers/bulkhead placed prior on the hull and then secure the platform.
Last note is that csm has no structural/strength value alone vs. adding glass

i know CSM has no strength value, never counted on that. As for the 1x1”s, yes that is correct they are not glassed, but they have been sealed. I tried to lay 1708 twice and each time it would not stop coming back up with air pockets, not just a little one but the whole darn top of the 1x1. So I said to heck with it and drilled holes and ran stainless screws then sealed that up with more resin.

as for stingers, bulkheads, and crossmembers they have all been installed and glassed in for some time now.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea 1708 is gonna have a tough time wrapping the edges of the 1". Looked like a 90 degree angle to boot. Maybe a lighter glass for those tough turns or bevel out the 90's to a softer radius so the glass will work with the edges better.
I didn't see any under deck bstringers or bulkheads in that area. So I figgered thtas why you added the bracing.
Talleyhoe!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ya know I was just thinking that if the 1"s are still a little green they gas off when trying to apply glass. Hence the bubbles.
Another trick is to glass just the sides and set up, grind down then glass the tops next.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ya know I was just thinking that if the 1"s are still a little green they gas off when trying to apply glass. Hence the bubbles.
Another trick is to glass just the sides and set up, grind down then glass the tops next.

What do you mean by green? And they are about a year old, been sitting in my garage for over a year.

the 1x1’s did have a radius guess it wasn’t enough to help the 1708 go on them smoothly.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Sap wood/dimensional lumber stays green along time that's all. I'm just making suggestions. Your boat do as you want.
I ran into the same problem once. Especially around any knots.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sap wood/dimensional lumber stays green along time that's all. I'm just making suggestions. Your boat do as you want.
I ran into the same problem once. Especially around any knots.

I know you are and I am takin it all in, I just didn’t know what green meant, but I am very surprised the curve that was in the 1x1’s wasn’t “rounded” enough to make the 1708 lay well.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you use an old saw blade to scrape some grooves into the PVC then wash it thoroughly with Acetone, the Poly will be able to GRIP onto it much better.
To make 1708 conform better to sharp edges you can pre-fold it and "Crease" it. Even then you'll need a LOT of finger work to press it into shaper and even then it's a crap shoot. 2-3 layers of Hairy CSM will do the job on the 1x1 cleats. All that's needed for them is to be sealed from the water. Not much strength required.

The Paint Info is in my signature line below.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you use an old saw blade to scrape some grooves into the PVC then wash it thoroughly with Acetone, the Poly will be able to GRIP onto it much better.
To make 1708 conform better to sharp edges you can pre-fold it and "Crease" it. Even then you'll need a LOT of finger work to press it into shaper and even then it's a crap shoot. 2-3 layers of Hairy CSM will do the job on the 1x1 cleats. All that's needed for them is to be sealed from the water. Not much strength required.

The Paint Info is in my signature line below.

Ya I scuffed up the pvc pipe and pb’ed it in and she is solid so that’s really good, all the tube is doing is to provide a path under the deck for wires from the motor and other accessories....

as for the 1708, ya I am done trying to get it over sharp angles lol too much wasted materials for that. Also the cleats are sealed up very well so I am happy with it.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Lots of good advice...…….for proper install. What kinda planes do you fly? As a job or hobby?

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lots of good advice...…….for proper install. What kinda planes do you fly? As a job or hobby?

Single engine at the moment, and more of a hobby at the moment..... going to school to be commercially rated and multi engine rated.... but I hate to break it most people, but flying planes commercially is boring as heck and your at that point just a bus driver of the sky

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I took flight lessons all the way to soloing and had to stop. I didn’t have much more to do before my check ride, but ran out of time. My daughters kind of trumped my need for a private pilot license. Some day I’ll start again, but with this boat obsession, who knows, lol. I absolutely loved flying. It was one of the most difficult, mentally, but most rewarding experiences.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took flight lessons all the way to soloing and had to stop. I didn’t have much more to do before my check ride, but ran out of time. My daughters kind of trumped my need for a private pilot license. Some day I’ll start again, but with this boat obsession, who knows, lol. I absolutely loved flying. It was one of the most difficult, mentally, but most rewarding experiences.

Yes flying is mesmerizing, I absolutely love it when I am flying outside the plane (VFR) and have someone sitting next to me that 1) has never been in a plane or 2) they are thinking they want to learn but never has the opportunity to sit at the flight station.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I started out in a Cherokee, then had to transition to the 172 due to a renter having a runway incursion. I definitely enjoyed the low wing plane more than the 172. Lost a couple weeks transitioning but caught on pretty quick. I definitely liked the electric flaps on the 172, lol. When I first started flying it really blew my mind in how behind in technology these small planes were. Carburetors, carb heat, mixture adjustments, radio navigation.....the dreaded dead reckoning. For crying out loud, in this day of GPS, you want me to put a map in my lap, look for and mark way points with a pencil, and calculate fuel burn and wind corrections on an E6B while maintaining a heading??? Lol. Good times. Then again, there is no pulling off somewhere to get directions when you’re in the sky. You either find the airport, or you crash. Lol. Honestly I miss it.