89 BL Capri resto help

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
here is the progress of the seat/battery boxes, all tabbed in and waiting for a top layer of glass to seal it off completely.

now out of resin and needing two part foam.

IMG_7178.jpeg

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice and strong.....looks very nice. Great work!!

thank you, i just hate all the sanding i will have to do on the sides due to the CSM wanting to be "harry" when applying the resin with the chip brush. but all in all it is comin along nice. now i need to start to look for gel coat at a reasonable cost.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
well it has been a slow week for me, but i did get resin ordered and located some foam to help make stencils for the floor

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
update, i have another 5gal of resin on the way. i started to put the tube for wires along the stinger. but i need a bigger hole saw, thought the pipe was 1 1/2in od but thats the id on it.

went back looking at old tear down pictures and i need to add one more cross member, not too horrible of a correction there.

got 1/4" insulation foam yesterday and use it to make a pattern for the rear and forward floor sections along with the battery box cover.

cut another support to put across the battery box top to add some structural strength to the box and support the top of it if someone was to stand on it.

i need to start to get plywood for the floor to cut and prep for glass work, debating on getting it before i get paid, but i really dont feel like putting fuel into the truck before then and spend $120 on wood. but more than likely i will get it before then due to having to work my second job when i do get paid.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I managed to overlook this until a few days ago; all caught up now and following along. You've got it moving along pretty dang well from what I've read. Good stuff!

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I managed to overlook this until a few days ago; all caught up now and following along. You've got it moving along pretty dang well from what I've read. Good stuff!

Ya I have been lucky about keeping it going, more resin came in yesterday so tonight I am getting the ply wood for the floor and will cut and glass it tonight, get the pvc pipe in for wires that go under the floor, also add the one cross member I forgot about.

Then depending ing what I have going tomorrow the floor will
go in pb’ed and tabbed in, if not then I’ll be doing it Saturday.

Now i need some opinions, should the floor be glassed with 1708 at all, one side, or both sides????

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I'd just go with CSM on the bottom to seal it up. No need for something like 1708 unless that is all you have.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd just go with CSM on the bottom to seal it up. No need for something like 1708 unless that is all you have.

No I do have both, I just didn’t know if the extra strength would be needed for the floor is all

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
If you are foaming the deck, which I think you said you were, 1/2" plywood is fine with just CSM on bottom. It is a bit spongy before foaming, but once you foam it really stiffens up.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Arch is right... I used 1/2" ply for my floor and it was a bit soft in spots that didn't have foam so I had to cut out the section above the gas tank and reinforce it, but if you don't have any big spans in areas without foam you will be fine.... The only thing I would change if I were to do it again, I think I would go with 4lb foam instead of 2 just to give it a little more rigidity.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you are foaming the deck, which I think you said you were, 1/2" plywood is fine with just CSM on bottom. It is a bit spongy before foaming, but once you foam it really stiffens up.

well there are only a few pockets that will hold foam. and its not that much honestly. now the seat boxes (bow seats and console seats) will be holding foam....

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Arch is right... I used 1/2" ply for my floor and it was a bit soft in spots that didn't have foam so I had to cut out the section above the gas tank and reinforce it, but if you don't have any big spans in areas without foam you will be fine.... The only thing I would change if I were to do it again, I think I would go with 4lb foam instead of 2 just to give it a little more rigidity.

well it sounds like i may need to reinforce it...... especially the front section where there will not be any cross members and it only using the hull as support.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I decided to try out using foam ribs as reinforcement... it worked really well, but you can really use anything (polyiso foam, urethane foam, wood, cardboard tubes, etc..)

I have a video on my channel on what I did here...

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I decided to try out using foam ribs as reinforcement... it worked really well, but you can really use anything (polyiso foam, urethane foam, wood, cardboard tubes, etc..)

I have a video on my channel on what I did here...

That foam supports are really Interesting..... how dense are they?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I used cardboard tubes under my bow on my sleekcraft. Worked great, just took 2" tubes or maybe 2.5" and cut them in half. glued them on, laid a couple layers of glass on them. It is amazing how much stiffer the fiberglass ribs make the bow when I walk on it. Really rock solid.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok so Is the glass doing the actual reinforcing or is it the crap that’s being encapsulated in it doing it?