89 BL Capri resto help

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Following along with WOG's comment, I wouldn't go too far away from the MFGs recommendation. Realistically though, if you put in a transom that was larger than the factory one and additional glass tabbing it in and in areas surrounding the transom, your boat could probably take over 100hp no problem.

That being said, 50HP in a 14' boat is actually gonna do more than you probably think. If its a small number of people on board and not too much beer, you can probably do all the stuff you want to do (tube, MAYBE ski, cruise around on plane, etc).

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Following along with WOG's comment, I wouldn't go too far away from the MFGs recommendation. Realistically though, if you put in a transom that was larger than the factory one and additional glass tabbing it in and in areas surrounding the transom, your boat could probably take over 100hp no problem.

That being said, 50HP in a 14' boat is actually gonna do more than you probably think. If its a small number of people on board and not too much beer, you can probably do all the stuff you want to do (tube, MAYBE ski, cruise around on plane, etc).

well not much for tubing or skiing out of this thing. mostly want it for a lake runner. the 59 johnson on it now barely got the girl to id say 20mph and barely on plane. and i don't want to be going distances at 20mph and at wide the hell open, id honestly be at 75% power cruising at a reasonable speed. hell the seahorse now as soon as you back off of wide open she wants to come off plane.

going 20% over on a motor rating would put me at 60hp and at that deal might as well stick with the dog i got now. But someone did make the point to me that a new 50hp would out power and do what i need better than the 59 seahorse. which makes sense.

as for people and booze on the boat, that will be the gf and myself only, gass/A**/grass rides aren't free LMFAO and its 14' for god sakes lol. and and then a bottle of fireball for the GF, i don't drink when out on the water if i am at the controls, just don't believe in it. soo there shouldn't be much weight at all.

Last edited:

Hab

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not to encourage you to up your power substantially, but its my understanding that the hp rating on a boat is more closely tied to the overall weight rating. Supposedly the weight rating and hp rating is a combined assumption of what the boat can handle and stay upright and afloat when swamped. The coast guard boat builders guide has the required flotation calculations if your confident enough to try and figure it all out with a larger motor.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not to encourage you to up your power substantially, but its my understanding that the hp rating on a boat is more closely tied to the overall weight rating. Supposedly the weight rating and hp rating is a combined assumption of what the boat can handle and stay upright and afloat when swamped. The coast guard boat builders guide has the required flotation calculations if your confident enough to try and figure it all out with a larger motor.

if i did there math correctly, from what i found, this boat would be rated for a 10hp motor......... from my understanding that is too, but it is rated for 50.... soooo how does this work ya know lol

Hab

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The calculation seems fairly complex, and i haven't been all the way through it, but if you figured your total displacement, total weight and strategic flotation you've probably fingered it correctly. Just offering food for thought, I've asked the same question about upping power and received the same response, even to the fact that the boat will be un-insureable if capacity is exceeded. I don't know much about insurance other than i hate buying it, and I'm wondering what questions ill have to side step when I try to insure a 50 year old boat that I DIY rebuilt.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
The calculation seems fairly complex, and i haven't been all the way through it, but if you figured your total displacement, total weight and strategic flotation you've probably fingered it correctly. Just offering food for thought, I've asked the same question about upping power and received the same response, even to the fact that the boat will be un-insureable if capacity is exceeded. I don't know much about insurance other than i hate buying it, and I'm wondering what questions ill have to side step when I try to insure a 50 year old boat that I DIY rebuilt.

man the table i found had like 3 calculations and took all of 2 min so i don't think its right by any means, also i don't think my current motor is a 59 johnson, its a two cylinder 50hp...... i think it may be newer..... so i may just throw a compression tester on it and see what's up. maybe it needs a rebuild and thats why it was sluggish?????? not to mention it needed to idle for about 4 min before it would go into gear, on top of having trouble staying running at initial start up, meaning it would die after about 2 seconds then 10 seconds and soo on for all of 5 to six start ups....

but time to start another thread in the engine section so that i can get a certain identification, will check tag on motor after work as well

Last edited:

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
All right y’all, sorry for de railing the F*** out of this thread, I’m stuck with what I got (motor size and that’s that)....

as for the boat, I have grounded down 75% of what I have needed to and the rest will be done when the rain stops falling. The dust sucks but oh well and I actually really like this grinding deal, it’s so satisfying lol don’t know why but it is. y’all need any help grinding lemme know, I’ll bring my grinder and you provide the pads....... it’s like cleaning the side of a dirty house to me lol.

Supplies they should be here tomorrow, so excited, need to get wood still but with the rain for the NEXT FIPPING week I am not happy lol

But oh well, I did reck my foot at work again (dropped a fork lift fork on it) so it’s probably a good thing rain is here to keep me off my foot

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well it seems as the boating gods may have looked upon me and decided the weather today should be nice.... so with that being said I will finish up the grinding of the hull and try to vacuum it out to the best of my ability, probably rinse it out with water as well and let it dry just so I don’t have to use as much acetone (but will be fore glassing).

Trying to locate a drill bit that’s rougly 21” and 1/2 to 7/8in to drill out this transom as the cast recommends....

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well got home today in this very fall feeling Ky day and finished out the grinding of the hull, while I was there I also added my first custom piece, a mid section drainage hole..... sooooo now I need to fix it..... it is right where a stringer should be laying..... how should I go about fixing this mess up?

chevymaher

Commander
Your a KY Boy to. It sure feels like fall don't it. 61 degrees in July this global warming is killin us.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Proper repair will be grinding on a taper both sides and building upon gradually larger pieces of cloth and poly until you get back to the proper thickness, probably about 4? Layers on each side, grind flat and fare. Inside doesn’t need to be perfect in appearance as you will be glassing the stringer over it anyway.
and you thought the grinding was over 🤣

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Proper repair will be grinding on a taper both sides and building upon gradually larger pieces of cloth and poly until you get back to the proper thickness, probably about 4? Layers on each side, grind flat and fare. Inside doesn’t need to be perfect in appearance as you will be glassing the stringer over it anyway.
and you thought the grinding was over 🤣

What do you mean by probably about 4? Four layers, four mills. Four inches?

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
And with doing layers will I want to use CSM or 1708? Then how far out should I lay this patch from the center of this nice little hole I cut into the hull. Also because I don’t have wax in my resin, it still should sand fine with the “tacky-ness” correct?

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
And with doing layers will I want to use CSM or 1708? Then how far out should I lay this patch from the center of this nice little hole I cut into the hull. Also because I don’t have wax in my resin, it still should sand fine with the “tacky-ness” correct?

Both... I did the same thing during deconstruction and repaired it like was shown on this video:

https://youtu.be/i9hfpOCnzEs

Worked really well.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
here is the hole i made
IMG_7082.jpeg
its no bigger than an inch thank god, as you can see i also stopped grinding in that stinger bed due to not knowing how to fix this