89 BL Capri resto help

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
got lucky today here at work, had to replace a CV axle and got enough foam to use to bed the stingers, what a win and the cheapest thing so far lol

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
well i think, i may actually be able to bed in the stringers today, wether is holding off!!!! fingers are crossed to make it till 8pm

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just a quick tip unless I’m already
too late. Grab yourself some plastic pastry bags to lay your beads of PB done. It works awesome. Also helps to fill voids. I love using them.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just a quick tip unless I’m already
too late. Grab yourself some plastic pastry bags to lay your beads of PB done. It works awesome. Also helps to fill voids. I love using them.

Yaaaa that’s waaaaayyyy too late...... I absolutely hate what I just went though..... god bless what a flipping mess!!!!!!!!!!

but in other news, three pints of resin mixed into PB latter, the damn Stringers are bedded in and gloves are flipping stuck to everything in sight...... also found out that nitrile gloves DO NOT hold up to poly and mekp.....

maybe tomorrow I’ll have the Stringers glasses in

dezmond

That’s what the talc is for ;) to
keep from stuff sticking to your gloves. Not for your bare hands. Where’s the pics?

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
That’s what the talc is for ;) to
keep from stuff sticking to your gloves. Not for your bare hands. Where’s the pics?

Well hell, someone could have said that too! Lol I was guessing the talc was for my bare hands working with something!!!! Lol well hell I feel dumb lol

ill have them up here in a little bit

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
So while I sit here and wait for the shop to open up here is the game plan hopefully today (calling for late afternoon showers)

seacast comes in today, so on the way home from work, I’ll pick up a drill bit to start drilling the transom, the one I ordered hasn’t come in, but the extension did.

hopefully I’ll be glassing the stingers in, i pre cut the 1708 last night from measurements I took, and I should have a ~6inch over lay on either sides of the stingers.

Need to then make measurements for the fuel cell tray and battery tray that goes in between the stingers along with the cross supports as well.

need to get some thin sheets of foam to start making the bulk heads that makes the front and back of the battery box/seat platforms. I want to make the seat platform a little bit taller than what was originally there due to the fact of how low in the boat they were, felt like I was sitting directly on the floor

once the bulkheads, trays, cross supports are in, i can start to make the floor and get that going. Here is a question for the floor deal and things above the floor..... if you look back at some of the original photos before I tore the boat apart, on the Stern of the boat on either sides of the boat there were these square boxes that butted up to the partial transom and To the sides of the boat with the fuel cell tray in between them. They then were filled with foam..... question is, how essential are these boxes to go back into the boat? Reason I ask is because they take up some decent usable space, but because they are right there next to the partial transom, should they go back in due to structural support? Another thought of mine has been to just re enforce the stern with laminated ply wood and to tab them in to make up for not installing them back but I need some other thoughts about this....

thanks guys and gals, sorry for the rambling,

Zack.

ps next post will have photos!

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
so here is the patch i made for the slit i put in the skin
IMG_7100.jpegIMG_7101.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7102.jpeg
    IMG_7102.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7096.jpeg
    IMG_7096.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I use mapa trilites 994, kind of pricey but they hold up to just about anything except gasoline. When They start getting sticky, just throw them away and put on another pair. You will go thru a lot of them!

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good morning
great progress so far. Stringers look like bare wood? If so I would give them a good coat of resin before you start tabbing. Fillets being nice and smooth will make laying your tabbing much easier with fewer bubbles.
are you planning to wrap up and over the stringer or pieces up each side?

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good morning
great progress so far. Stringers look like bare wood? If so I would give them a good coat of resin before you start tabbing. Fillets being nice and smooth will make laying your tabbing much easier with fewer bubbles.
are you planning to wrap up and over the stringer or pieces up each side?

yes i plan on going up and over, also because i did a Crap job with the fillets, i had to go back with a dremell and smooth them out, along with getting access off the darn resin coated stingers (pulling hair out of my head as i type this). so now before i get to glass them, i need to 1) wipe down with acetone and 2) re coat in resin.

but lessons and technique learned for the next one and floor/bulkhead installs. soo i will not get too mad at myself.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use mapa trilites 994, kind of pricey but they hold up to just about anything except gasoline. When They start getting sticky, just throw them away and put on another pair. You will go thru a lot of them!

ya my yard looks like a box of gloves blew up in the rain storms we have been having, but PRO TIP: wear multiple layers of gloves to just tear the outside layer and keep goin'. thats what i did after getting one stringer in and seeing how easily they tear after touching the resin and two, when the heat from your hands helps the resin kick quicker than the ambient air temp.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
the boating gods may be blessing me once again today with tolerable weather..... the storms keep getting pushed back and i truly hope they do.......

man i am watching the weather as hard as i did when i was in flight school. its almost summer and i cannot understand all this rain during the day, night time makes sense but not throughout the day lol

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry, my OCD is killing me... its stRingers... not stingers lol :laugh:

Looks good otherwise, you're flying along.
One other word of advise i've found helpful is, if you plan out accordingly, if you can precut your tabbing to be ready, I like to do my layups before the fillet fully cures. Then when you try to push the tabbing into the radius, it still has a little give, and you won't have any hard bumps or anything causing bubbles in the radius.

Hope that makes sense... Its not always possible either, but if you can do it, I find it helps.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry, my OCD is killing me... its stRingers... not stingers lol :laugh:

Looks good otherwise, you're flying along.
One other word of advise i've found helpful is, if you plan out accordingly, if you can precut your tabbing to be ready, I like to do my layups before the fillet fully cures. Then when you try to push the tabbing into the radius, it still has a little give, and you won't have any hard bumps or anything causing bubbles in the radius.

Hope that makes sense... Its not always possible either, but if you can do it, I find it helps.

i wanted to wrap the stringers last night but the GF decided not to help sooo i stopped due to sun setting just cause they were "soft".

as for stingers/Stringer, gotta blame my fast typing on my computer while ordering parts for vehicles lol i know it has an R in there lol

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I officially blow chunks at working with this 1708...... most of what I have laid will have to be ground down and re attempted..... have a boat load (pun intended) of bubbles at the tops of the stringers.

I guess going for the pro move of up abs over was a horrible choice, plus I do believe that “6 inches past the Base of th stingers was also a bad choice seeing how the curvature of the hull didn’t want to allow the glass to lay flat

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I should have just tabbed them in, then capped the tops of the stringers.

now that I have calmed down and smoked a cig, they don’t look too horrible, need to trim away some of the access that is flared up then grind out some bubbles, then do some tabbing work and they will be good. Just gonna have to be easy with grinding so I can feather out the bubbles rather than grind away to straight wood

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ya wrapping up and over is something for skill beyond me.way too much babysitting for a large layup IMO.
i did 2 overlapping layers of tabbing with 1708, first was about 6” and second was about 12”. I glassed over the top with 2 layers of csm.
you will get better every time you do a layup and will likely have it perfected just as you finish 😆

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ya wrapping up and over is something for skill beyond me.way too much babysitting for a large layup IMO.
i did 2 overlapping layers of tabbing with 1708, first was about 6” and second was about 12”. I glassed over the top with 2 layers of csm.
you will get better every time you do a layup and will likely have it perfected just as you finish 😆

Ya no crap, now I am in a crap mood due to the waste of 1708 and over half a gallon of resin

froggy1150

I completely encased each piece of wood (excluding cleats) in 2 Oz csm. I covered one side and tried to wrap edge then when able to be flipped ground the hangers smooth and then wrapped the other side. So now each piece is sealed and can be set in butter and tabbed.