89 BL Capri resto help

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Same thing. I like to put poly on the surface you are bonding too, helps to speed up the wet out. I also pre-wet the back of the fabric if its a smaller piece. On other tip is I put the fabric or CSM on whatever I am glassing while its still dry and work the fabric with my hand to get it to conform to the shape. The cloth / CSM has a little memory to it so that helps work out the air pockets before you actually start. Sort of pre-form the shape.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I like to use a bondo spreader when I first lay my cloth in. Helps with conforming to shape as well get bubbles out. Then I work it with a brush.

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great progress in such a short time, thanks for the inspiration! I have had my boat for 2 years and you passed me up, keep up the good work!

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great progress in such a short time, thanks for the inspiration! I have had my boat for 2 years and you passed me up, keep up the good work!

I think it’s just due to being a small basic boat, but it’s enough for my girl and I. But I cannot lie, this is a good “get the feet wet” boat for restoring...... now the hard part is not buying another one that’s bigger lmfao!!!!! Keep finding myself looking at $500 boats with running motors lol

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
buxmj also keep at it man, idk if you have kids or not, I don’t, and I know that’s also what gives me a lot of freedom in the evenings between my two jobs.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
well it appears this week is gonna be hell trying to work on the boat, suppose to have thunderstorms all week, i hope the are wrong so i can get to putting in the floor here soon, goal is to be water testing (unfinished upholstery) by July, so i knew this is a very tall order to fill, but if i can keep putting three hours a day into it i dont think its too tall of an order. may they boating gods bless me with good late afternoon weather.

oh also seacast ordered as of yesterday, along with drill bit and extension for it. so as long as everything goes according to plan, transom repair should be happing by friday-saturday timeframe... want to get stringers in before taking care of the transom since they back up to it. the cast will be a good rear end sealer for the stingers.

if i have to, i may seal up the stingers in the garage, dont really want to, the GF might shoot me due to the smell permeating into the house.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well folks, once again the boating gods have looked down upon me and blessed me with a good evening.... not much to report though other than the patch is finished, needs to be sanded down to accommodate the stinger. And the Stringers have been coated in resin.... not too bad for getting home late from work....

also shout out to the folks who told me how to pour from a 5gal bucket.... you all are the true hero’s and you deserve a cape!

So plan lane for tomorrow, bed the stingers in using PL glue since it seems to be everyone’s favorite glue. Gonna cut some cross members to keep them tight like Frisco boater did.

Hopefully also tomorrow after about an hour or so of curing, I’ll then PB them in as well and formulate a plan for how I want to cover the stingers and maybe cut the glass for prep.

As for putting resin to glass, dezmonds method along with another has worked best for me, pre wet glass, apply it, use bondo putty knife and then brush out the bubbles.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh also sorry about the lack of photos y’all, I’ll do a big upload at work in the Morning.... I have been forgetting due to initial workload

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Caution đź‘€***
Before you set anything in P.L. Realize the extended cure time it requires. Also there are many different types and as I understand not many that are water friendly🤔

If you’re planning to keep things rolling you may want to reconsider!
If you are planning give it ??? A few days? A week? To fully cure you should be okay but .... why P.L. AND THEN Peanut Butter/ thickened resin???
it is my understanding that leaving a small gap or shimming the stringer off the glass and then bedding it in with Peanut butter was the common way to go, that’s how I did mine.
I know there’s more than one way to skin a cat but are you sure you’re plan will work?
I’m not.
Just trying to help

Brian

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Caution đź‘€***
Before you set anything in P.L. Realize the extended cure time it requires. Also there are many different types and as I understand not many that are water friendly🤔

If you’re planning to keep things rolling you may want to reconsider!
If you are planning give it ??? A few days? A week? To fully cure you should be okay but .... why P.L. AND THEN Peanut Butter/ thickened resin???
it is my understanding that leaving a small gap or shimming the stringer off the glass and then bedding it in with Peanut butter was the common way to go, that’s how I did mine.
I know there’s more than one way to skin a cat but are you sure you’re plan will work?
I’m not.
Just trying to help

Brian

Thanks for saying something, I just looked up the PL glue I purchased and it is not recommenced for use with sealed materials and its cure time is god awful long..... so PB bedding will be the way to go. I was trying to save some resin but oh well, this will be fine.....

suppose to rain all day again but but I am praying it opens up in the afternoon like it did yesterday

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
so here is a thought (not trying to start fights)....

If one is to bed stingers in PB, why would you need spacers in between the stingers and PB? shouldn't the PB take up any of the gaps and prevent hard spots with wood to glass due to the fact the PB mixture will become rock hard and take away the strain of hard spots with the wood?

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
The only purpose of the spacing is to keep the stringer from contacting the hull directly. So all depending on your setup, you could remove them.
the way I had mine set they were not in contact and I didn’t require any spacers.
so yes there is no need to keep them in place if you can ensure there’s no contact with the hull

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
The only purpose of the spacing is to keep the stringer from contacting the hull directly. So all depending on your setup, you could remove them.
the way I had mine set they were not in contact and I didn’t require any spacers.
so yes there is no need to keep them in place if you can ensure there’s no contact with the hull

well i only bet on sure things so it sounds like to me that i will have spacers of sorts lol

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Spacers in between the stringer and the hull. This leaves a 1/4” gap in which you squeeze Peanut butter into. Two reasons to do this, inconsistency in the stringers you cut when scribing to the hull, and keeping the wood off the hull prevents rot. I used disposable pastry bags for squeezing PB into gaps such as this. I would never use PL to bed stringers due to the cure time as well as being softer. Also, mixing 1/4” chop into the PB keeps it from cracking and provides massive amounts of integrity. Your project is looking good!!

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Another benefit of using PB is you can bed your stringers and fillet them in the same step so you save a ton of time vs PL...

For spacers, you can use just about anything, but a lot of people, including myself, use little pieces of rigid foam insulation. Just dont use anything super hard like washers, or ... rocks....

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another benefit of using PB is you can bed your stringers and fillet them in the same step so you save a ton of time vs PL...

For spacers, you can use just about anything, but a lot of people, including myself, use little pieces of rigid foam insulation. Just dont use anything super hard like washers, or ... rocks....

darn, just found 4 good river rocks to use.... gone done messed up my plan....

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’m not.
Just trying to help

Brian

about my plan, at this point i am faking it till i make it..... so far with guidance here and a lot of educated guess work, i have been goin pretty well LMFAO!!!!!