89 BL Capri resto help

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I was hoping to get some more work going on the boat today but besides rain today, we have had some early afternoon funnel clouds about 2 miles away from me here in central Ky..... now I ain’t scared of no nater, but I don’t want to lose supplies or have to rush if Mother Nature decides to rear her ugly back

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well it’s a beautiful day here and I have had some
time to work on the boat, but I have kinda hit an issue.....

trying to drill out the transom for cast but I am having a seriously hard time drilling out the transom, all the way across I can drill about an inch, and then I hit a brick wall, like solid as hell and cannot go any father, and from what I can tell there should be nothing in the darn way....... I am lost

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I have seen a video online of a guy doing it using a chainsaw. Worked a lot better than i thought it would. I have always just removed the transom from the inside, replaced the inner skin and filled it up.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Do a drill sample inside/face of the transom where you are hitting a rock. See if you come back with anything. 1/4" steel bit. Easy fix up.

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have seen a video online of a guy doing it using a chainsaw. Worked a lot better than i thought it would. I have always just removed the transom from the inside, replaced the inner skin and filled it up.

I am suppose to use a chainsaw after I drill a series of holes down the transom, trying to use a chainsaw at the moment (with it still solid), seems risky to my safety

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So....what's in the transom that's giving you troubles? Have you figured that out yet. Hala!! or is it Holler?

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
So....what's in the transom that's giving you troubles? Have you figured that out yet. Hala!! or is it Holler?

So I completely forgot my drill bits at work yesterday so I wasn’t able to drill into it from the back side. But i have a reminder today to bring them home.....

as of yesterday evening I have a few card board cutouts ready to go, need to figure out how to get the bulkheads made for the battery/seat box’s tonight as well so I can spends Saturday afternoon glassing them and placing them in

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
so the game plan if all pans out, stenciled bulkheads done today along with drilling the mystery substance in the transom to find out whats going on there.

if i can get this done today, i should be able to, just need to figure out how i want to make the seat box/battery bulkheads. they are just wide and shaped a little funny and i am not much of a fabricator so this will be interesting.

if all the above gets done, then Saturday, i can get them cut out on plywood, glassed, tabbed, and coated. then get the stencils made for the floor. also cut, glass, coat, and lay in as well. i should have a good 8-9hr day working on it Saturday.

also speaking of the floor, i have a drain pipe left in, located at the front of the boat where it would allow water that came over the bow to go under the floor and drain to the transom plug, i am debating to deleting this out of the floor. whats yalls thoughts on this? i understand the purpose for it in rough water so you dont soak the floor and seeing as how Lake Cumberland can be when the god darn Ohio Navy decides to come down almost ever weekend, they can make the lake pretty choppy so i could see the benefit of it for me, but at the same time i dont think i want water going under to the stringers i just fixed.....

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
It's a puzzle thing. Do this then do that then do this then do that. All about the glue. :rolleyes:
You are moving pretty well.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
I came across the same surprise but mine was just mesh glassed into the decking under the bow seating part of the cap (all moulded Fiberglass. No tubing just a centre open channel (that I foam filled. I glassed over the previous drain and re contourd the decking so any water will have to run to the stern and collect in the bilge.
i hope it was the right choice 🤔

Scherfz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I came across the same surprise but mine was just mesh glassed into the decking under the bow seating part of the cap (all moulded Fiberglass. No tubing just a centre open channel (that I foam filled. I glassed over the previous drain and re contourd the decking so any water will have to run to the stern and collect in the bilge.
i hope it was the right choice 🤔

thats what i am thinking of doing as well, remove the drain and seal up as much as i can. i dont think water will have a problem finding the aft drain from the glasses floor covered in the Teak foam..... plus the fuel palette will allow water to reach the drain.